Friday, September 01, 2006

Deficit spending

A morning at the gym reminds me of why I love working out. After breakfast and lunch and subtracting the 711 calories I burned in my workout, I have a total-for-the-day calorie consumption of 118. Heh. Having over 1200 calories to eat after lunch to meet MyFoodDiary's recommended 2 lb. per week loss level feels like a luxury, similar to a long, empty morning spent with a book and a pot of an excellent coffee. I've missed out on the gym several days this week and not only do I feel it physically ~ not a good feeling ~ it's much harder to eat right. Something about pushing myself physically makes me want to eat better, make better choices about life in general. I guess it's the way exercise affects brain chemistry. Elliptical or Elavil? I think I'll stick with the elliptical.

My long time friend Leslie, who's our office manager and all around kickass do everything person at the shop, worked out with me and is going to get into the pulmonary rehab program at the gym. Having someone else to go with motivates me too. It was great fun. I've missed having a workout buddy since my 35 year old friend Suzanne had a heart attack a few months ago.

On another note, my Hero of the Day is Keith Olbermann. His thoughtful and intelligent assessments give me hope. Yea Keith!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger TrixieBelden said...

I use myfooddiary.com too. I was religious about posting for the first month, and then I stopped for the past two weeks. Needless to say they were not my most healthy weeks.

Go you for sticking to your exercise plan. I'm glad you found a workout buddy.

September 01, 2006 5:44 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I'm excited to start working out once my knee gets better. I remember that feeling you talk about, the post workout "euphoria" I guess.

I too love the idea of having a large portion of calories left for the end of the day. It's comforting.

And thanks for the link.

September 02, 2006 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I am starting to tune in Keith once in a while, its kinda fun, I also like "The Colbert Report". Keith used to be a local sports guy here in LaLaland.

September 02, 2006 3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home