Monday, August 28, 2006

Random thoughts for the day

Down 1.5-2 pounds this week; hard to tell on my big dial scale. Tired. Spending much time in my fantasy of running away from my life. Behind at work. Came across this quote at Existential Ramble:

“Beware the leader who bangs the drum of war,
In order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor,
for patriotism is indeed a double edged sword.

It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind.
And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch
and the blood boils with hate
And the mind has closed,
the leader will have no need of seizing
the rights of the citizenry.

Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear
and blinded by patriotism,
will offer up all of their rights unto the leader,
and gladly so.

How do I know?
For this is what I have done.
And I am Caesar.”

Julius Caesar

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He who fails to remember history is doomed to repeat it, but then I guess history was one of those Yale classes that were considered optional by George W. Bush.

August 28, 2006 12:28 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Damn.

It seems like the situation we have now (if I may apply it to this) is slightly reversed. The citizenry was "whip[ped]...into a patriotic fervor" so that a war could be facilitated more easily and with more support. And by whipped I guess I mean frightened.

The quote is quite thought-provoking.

Oh, yeah, and about the topic at hand (weight and the loss thereof), GOOD JOB! That's why I love my digital scale. It doesn't do anything fancy like measure body fat percentages or whatnot, but it gives me the exact number I'm looking for. I hope you can catch up at work and start feeling better.

August 28, 2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger V'ron said...

I've seen a version of this attributed to Goebbels, something about how "simple" it all is.

August 30, 2006 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, well, thanks for that, v'ron. a little research reveals that this convenient quote's not from the words of caesar ~ just convenient, i suppose, given current events. something like those reinterpretations of nostradamus and such post-9/11. apologies for misleading. i like the words and won't delete them. snopes.com ~ what a website :-) lynette

August 30, 2006 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home