Monday, September 04, 2006

No reading

Ugh. I am going to try, just try, one meal each day without having something to read. Just one. Reading and eating are so strongly connected for me that I really can't imagine one without the other. It's not that every time I read I have to eat something; rather that every time I eat I have to read.

I think the gentle eating folks have it right when they suggest eating to the exclusion of anything else, concentrating on the food only, the scent, texture, look, taste of it, becoming aware of fullness or not. I think I can do this for one meal a day. I can. I'll start tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem..either that or I watch television while eating. I just don't pay attention enough to what I'm putting in my mouth while I'm focused on something else. I'm going to try the same thing you are doing. :)

September 04, 2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

This probably sounds ridiculous, but eating as it's own activity helps me to eat less. I'm always multi-tasking and I'm constantly worried that something is happening of which I need to be aware (even if it's a Law & Order marathon), so when I sit down with just my food and a quiet room, I'm ten times (note: not a scientific measurement) more likely to get up and stop eating when I'm full so that I can make sure I'm not missing anything else.

I love small goals like this - they make it all seem more managable.

September 05, 2006 2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a TV thing for me, too.

September 05, 2006 12:49 PM  
Blogger Miss Janey said...

Miss Janey has struggled with the weight aand can relate to The Belle's journey. A new one starts each day- keep goin' girl! Thansk for stoppin' by Miss's J's Place.

September 05, 2006 1:23 PM  
Blogger FatMom said...

Well, how's it going, BAB? Lordy, I can't imagine a meal without someone to talk to, something to read, or something to watch (t.v.). I know it's bad! So, tell me, how's it going??

September 05, 2006 1:45 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I have a hard time snacking and watching TV or driving. Roadtrips can be the worst. Thank God I live close to work. If it were 30 min. plus, lord knows how much worse off I would be with weight issues. I love your blog and am going to stay tuned.

September 05, 2006 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home