Friday, September 22, 2006

Not hungry

I don't know how many times I'll have to learn this, but the fewer carbs I eat, the less hunger I experience. (Fewer? Less? Wish I actually knew that grammatical rule.) I've looked back through MyFoodDiary records of eating since March and I see that my healthy eating plan has included a proper percentage of carbohydrates and calories, fats and proteins, all of that. It's just that I was hungry most of the time. Really hungry, despite eating 1400 - 2200 calories a day. It's as if the grain-based carbs, particularly, because I wasn't eating much sugar, stimulate hunger and appetite.

Having had five days now of lower carb eating ~ not zero carbs, but lower, under 50-60 or so, and without grains or sugar ~ I find that I'm not hungry at all. My head is clear and after the initial crankiness that inevitably comes with that change, my mood has lifted and I feel more energetic. Slept better, too.

This is like jumping off a diving board into an empty swimming pool. As I smack my ass on the concrete, I shriek and think "learned it!" I climb out and go on my way, only to return to the diving board. Jump in, smack my ass on the concrete, shriek and think "learned it!" Learned it, learned it, learned it. Have I learned it yet? For today I have.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Keep up the great work! I too get hungry more often when I eat processed carbs. Working out regularly also helps to curb my appetite. Take care!

September 22, 2006 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learning and doing? Two different animals. I think one day at a time is the right approach!

September 22, 2006 6:25 PM  
Blogger angelfish24 said...

Nice to hear low carb works for you. You are doing great. Think for me too. If I get too many carbs, I just want more, more, more. I agree w/ above comments, we all learn what is best for us, heck, most of us could write a book on nutrition and exercise and emotional eating. But to actually do it and want to do it every day, to live the healthy lifestyle is one I am still figuring out. Have a good week.

September 23, 2006 12:09 AM  
Blogger Moby Dick said...

Grain-based carbs? Don't you mean BREAD??? I actually went to the bakery yesterday with the intention of buying and eating an entire loaf of Pan Cubano. I was saved because the young lady with the gold teeth who works there got my order (Cafe Cubano y una libra de Pan) wrong after three requests for PAN! and so I just drank the coffee. Was it a message from Dog?

September 23, 2006 12:10 AM  
Blogger BigAssBelle said...

oh, you know spider, grain-based as in sunchips, crackers, rice for dinner, that sort of thing. a little cake, pie, cookies, just a little. the deadly combination ~ the cocktail of doom ~ is fat-sugar-wheat. so seductive, so divine, so murderous to my wellbeing . . . lynette

September 23, 2006 6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home