Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Wrench, please

In my shop, when we're unloading or shipping furniture, I am often faced with undoing bolts or screws that have been in place for 100 years. Especially with old, old French armoires, it takes a tight wrench and a lot of elbow grease to get the old dirty rusty connectors moving.

I feel right now as if I'm trying to wrench my head around, giving it a major heave-ho, working to get back to a point of gratitude and acceptance. I am not white knuckling it, but neither am I in that divine spot where it feels I am floating on a cloud of grace and serenity.

So much better than it was, as I said this morning, but nowhere near where I want to be. Some of this is likely the aftereffects of excess. Why can't I remember that this. does. not. feel. good. Why? I have a disease that tells me I don't have a disease, tells me this time it will be different, I'll be able to handle it, keep on track, quit with one. It's a liar, this affliction. Maybe one day I will lose my ability to hear its voice.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger J said...

...but it feels pretty awesome when the bolts come loose.

(Literally and metaphorically.)

Sometimes you need someone to help you with the wrench. Sometimes you need to take a breather and let your hands rest and uncramp. Sometimes you need gloves. Don't feel bad about that.

October 26, 2006 5:27 AM  
Blogger Crazy In Shreveport said...

Heh, heh. I read your headline really fast. Thought it said "Wench, please." I imagined you in a saucy Halloween costume having a confrontation somewhere. It must be this fever I have.

October 27, 2006 9:00 PM  
Blogger Thora said...

I keep forgetting I have this disease :(

The hand tattoo is a lovely idea. Maybe a nice Olde English-y type script.

My sis will be thrilled. She's wanted to take me to get a tat for several years now.

November 06, 2006 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home