Friday, November 17, 2006

My hero is a gay hooker

Mike Jones is my hero. I admire his courage, his strength of conviction, his honesty.

Mike Jones used to be a hooker. I don't hold that against him because the only difference between us is that he had the sense to charge. Having been single in the '70s, I was a very popular girl. I had a blast and I don't regret it, but it's not who I am today.

Mike may have had a problem with meth. I can't possibly hold that against him, as I used more than my share of that powerful drug in my misspent youth, and I know how seductive it can be.

I'm a 49 year old relatively proper (vastly reformed) married woman, owner of a successful small business in the upper south. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs or whore around. I've had the support of my family throughout my life, even the times when I was so off the rails as to be unrecognizable to them.

So why is Mike Jones, the gay prostitute who outed the hypocritical homophobic Ted Haggard my hero? Mike is my hero because, at great personal risk he provided a distraction from the Republican machine that has derailed so many elections.

Mike's story of his ongoing relationship with Ted Haggard ~ the head of an enormous church and a monstrous evangelical association, who reviled gays while engaging in homosexual acts, who used drugs while preaching purity ~ prevented the American public from once more swallowing the pro-war propaganda we've been fed for the last four years.

It was a story so shocking, it could not have been derailed by even one of those terror alerts Karl Rove is always pulling out of his ass to scare us into submission. By telling his story, by standing up, Mike encouraged the rest of us to stand up and do what needed to be done in Congress.

Mike took a risk. He told his story in northern Colorado ~ not far from where Matthew Shepard was beaten nearly to death, then left to die alone on a fence in Wyoming. People think folks in the south are homophobic, but we've got nothing on some of those idiots out west. Mike knew he would be reviled for his past, for the drugs, and he spoke up anyway.

I am not sure I have that kind of courage: I hope so, would want to, but in the end? I don't know if I have the kind of courage it takes to put everything at risk for a principle. The principle is honesty and Mike spoke up. For that, he is my hero.

If you want to help Mike, another of my heroes who writes so eloquently of the worst years of the "gay plague," Joe at Joe.My.God has a great post and complete details about a Paypal account that's been opened for Mike Jones. Mike is alone, without resources, but check out Joe's post. He says it better than I can. I sent $$ yesterday, along with my thanks. Mike's email for Paypal is massageandmuscle@aol.com. It felt great to be able to help, and anything does help ~ $10, $20, $30, $50, $100, anything at all.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Done. Happy to help.

November 17, 2006 10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hypocracy of so many religious leaders and political leaders never ceases to amaze me. I know it should not surprise me, but I still find it unfathomable how these people justify their behavior.

November 19, 2006 11:39 AM  
Blogger RenĂ©e said...

The exposure of the religious right has been a breath of fresh air. I think enough eyes have opened and I know great change can't be far behind.

Edwards/Obama '08! :)

November 20, 2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger eric3000 said...

Sometimes I think the religious right are pulling a big prank on us. Sometime in the near future we'll hear, "Aw, we were just joking! We're all drug-addicted homosexual satanists, who spend our days burning flags and getting abortions! I can't believe we had you all going for so long!"

Clinton/Obama '08! (Edwards would be fine, too)

November 20, 2006 3:21 PM  
Blogger Author said...

Thanks for a great post. Lovely to see that folks are pulling the curtains and your blog helps them see what is revealed.

November 22, 2006 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 01, 2006 3:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 01, 2006 7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 04, 2006 8:54 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

I like Mike too, but the crystal thing bothered me, because it's destroyed so many peoples lives. I'm o.k. with hookers, as long as they play safe. Still he was very brave.

December 05, 2006 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home