Thursday, December 14, 2006

Over it

Mike came into my office at the warehouse and plopped down, saying "it's going to be a sparse Christmas, honey." These words are something of a misnomer, because he's got gifts stashed in his closet from earlier in the year. But just the sound of these words from my sweetheart gives me such immense joy I find it hard to hold it in. I have been over the collecting urge, over the acquisitional drive, over the wish to spend, accumulate, gather up, have, own, take care of stuff. I am weary of stuff, weary of the feeling of being tethered by things. I have been hoping he'd get over it too.

We used to shower each other with gifts. Shower. It was ridiculous, really, almost obscene, but we'd tell ourselves it's our money, we love it, it's fun, and so on. It was lots of fun at the time, but doesn't even get me excited now. How much stuff can one person have? And what, ultimately, is the point? This winter trip to the sunny beaches has cemented in my mind how much more precious memories and experiences are than the next antique compass or potlid or romance landscape oil.

He continued by saying he really doesn't want or need anything and just wants to travel with me. Hallelujah! This is the best gift I've ever received. I am full of joy this morning and hoping that y'all are as well. Ho ho ho! Off we go.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger dpaste said...

Sounds like a promising holiday is shaping up for you. Enjoy.

December 14, 2006 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya! Saw your comment at Joe.My.God. and thought I would pop in! I am also a large southern Belle workin' on getting fit. I am down 45 pounds and going for another 50. It ain't easy in the land of fried chicken and creamed potatoes! I intend to be peaking back at your site!

December 14, 2006 2:30 PM  
Blogger Red Seven said...

I commend you on your "over it" status. I'm sort of over "stuff" as well. Sure, there are things that will make you happy, but none of them can compare to the people who make your heart sing, y'know?

Happy Xmas, m'dear!!

December 14, 2006 8:43 PM  
Blogger Vickie said...

Just curious - are you seeing a parallel between letting go of the "stuff" (perhaps seeing "clutter" like you haven't before) AND letting go of the food??? I have been realizing how closely these two things (and therefore over spending) are tied together for me.

December 15, 2006 6:01 AM  
Blogger V'ron said...

I'm over stuff too. I want time.

December 15, 2006 6:50 AM  
Blogger Gothic Writer said...

I love your introspective posts. :O. We are working hard on helping our daughter see Christmas as something other than a materialistic splurging time. We usually get her 4 or 5 nice things... and that's it. We bought a laptop computer for the both of us this year, though dh always gets me a couple things to go with. ;O. I, too, am over the materialism thing. We don't make a lot of money, but we are happy and the money will probably get better next year when dh is done with his postdoc, so we are intent on remembering the abundance we have now.

Lisa
http://becomingradiant.blogspot.com

December 17, 2006 7:51 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Mike's and your revelations are inspiring. It's so much more important to find the feelings and experiences in life that make us "full," instead of the things and stuff that seem to do the same thing, but are fleeting.

It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful holiday, but I'll wish you one anyway.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

December 18, 2006 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home