Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Another frigid day in Boot Camp

First, I must extend an apology to those who were adversely affected by Saturday's post. I realize it was out of the ordinary and not for the squeamish and possibly should have included a warning to that effect. It will be a while before I write about the others, so we're back to Boot Camp today.

Or what passes for Boot Camp. We have been iced in since Friday afternoon. We ventured forth on foot to the warehouse on Sunday, again yesterday, but it is like a skating rink out there and showing no signs of melting. The gym has been closed and the cars are stuck. We don't do slick down here because it so rarely happens. No snow plows, only a little salt and sand which sinks into the ice and vanishes with the slight melt, freezing again to create a perfectly slick, smooth surface for the next day.

I couldn't skate down to the shop scale this week so I used the one at the house and it looks like two pounds are gone. That's a wonder because this kind of weather makes me feel like a bear preparing for hibernation. What can we fucking eat next???

Hoping to dig out and get to the gym today. It's supposed to be two degrees, which is an absurd temperature. Crankiness and restlessness prevail at our house. No sign of it changing. How all of you northerners (normally) handle this kind of weather, I'll never know. I completely understand why women on the prairie went wild and axed their families into little pieces in winter.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Ohh, you poor Oklahoman with the worst weather of all of us in the flyover states. I still read Miami, OK and Springfield, MO news occasionally because that's the area where I was raised and it sounds like you took it much harder than the rest of us, so I'm very sorry.

So that's why I'm super impressed with your weight loss for this week because you're right...being snowbound brings out that instinctual need to add layers of fat for the harsh winter ahead. Even if harsh winters involve central heat and NASA-inspired outerwear.

Great job this week, and just remember...if you hack your family to pieces take a tip from our friends up north and use a wood chipper to hide the evidence.

January 16, 2007 9:18 AM  
Blogger Red Seven said...

I finally got off my butt and exercised yesterday, which was GREAT -- except that my timing was lousy ... there was no food in the house, which forced me to go grocery shopping right after my workout and I was SO hungry!! I'm not SUPPOSED to go grocery shopping when I'm hungry!! I inhaled a dinner that effectively canceled out the workout, but oh well. I will exercise again today, and the fridge is now stocked with healthy options for dinner, so ... good 'nuff.

January 16, 2007 11:58 AM  
Blogger evilganome said...

Good on you. I am suppose to start eating like a starving pig, since I am in a "muscle gain" phase. It runs counter to my dieting instincts, but I'm doing it. You will be delighted to hear that Canada is finally sending us some weather here in the North East and it is suppose to drop 20 degrees this afternoon and be in the single digits tonight. (minus's with the wind chill factor) P.S. Erin is right about the wood chipper. Though it's probably not as much fun as the axe.

January 16, 2007 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NEVER aplogize for writing from the heart. You have a lot to say, about a lot of things in life, keep at it.

January 16, 2007 1:47 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

The post the other day was beautiful and horrible, so don't apologize. I used to live in the coldest city in the world with a population over 600 thousand people and winter was six months long, but I stayed there for ten years because I thought I'd have a better chance of not contracting HIV. And it worked. Congrats on the weight loss, my spouse is trying to lose weight, he has to have surgery, and I'm trying not to nag him, but I'm just worried about his health. He only needs to lose twenty pounds. Now I'll go have a cigarette.

January 16, 2007 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Erin is right about the wood chipper. Though it's probably not as much fun as the axe.

Don't you have to use the axe to get the pieces small enough to put into the chipper though?

January 16, 2007 10:52 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I will admit that I couldn't continue after the first paragraph of the last post. I can't even bring myself to watch the local evening news it so horrifies me what people are doing to our children.

Wonderful work on the two lbs gone.

"What can we fucking eat next???"

I know the feeling so well.

January 17, 2007 3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post about the was beautiful and oh-so-very poignant.

January 17, 2007 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't apologize for what you write here. If people don't like it: FUCK'EM.

January 19, 2007 10:43 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Chair said...

I did read your "Do you see them?" post earlier last week and must admit it did get to me. But thank you for writing it.

I attended OSU and earned my BS in Sociology with an emphasis in juv. treatments. After completing my internship with a private social worker firm in Payne county - I just knew I didn't have the courage "to see them" or work in the field and get my M.S.W. degree. Thank the good lord there are people like you who do and years later write about it; maybe you needed to remind me that the world may need a another set of eyes to "see them".

January 26, 2007 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home