Thursday, January 04, 2007

Boot Camp Day 6

Another kickass day at the gym. So amazing. I love this body! Despite years and years of abuse it just keeps going. It's a good body and it loves me dearly, would just like it if I'd be a little nicer to it. Actually, I've been pretty nice to it last year and a half, and I think the shocking response I'm seeing at the gym is evidence of that.

So the shocking response is this: Friday was my first day back on the elliptical in months. I think I had a 3-4 day fit of exercise a month or so ago, but nothing sincere since late September/early October. At level four, my heart rate shot up to 145+ which at my age is over the top. Yesterday, I ran for 30 minutes at level eight and barely got above 125 there at the end. I had lightened weights on my upper body routine and yesterday had to add weight to get a good workout. My blood pressure was 130/70 Friday and the last two days it's been 110/60.

I am shocked and grateful and moved by the concept that this body I've so abused, that faithfully carries me about throughout the day, really wants to be fit and healthy and strong. Despite anorexia and bulimia and drugs as a teenager, drinking every day from 18-25, compulsive eating, bulimia, compulsive eating, massive weight gain, starvation, massive weight loss, weight gain, loss, gainlossgainlossgainloss, despite all of that, it just keeps going and responds so well to my efforts. What a miracle. What a blessing!

So the gym was great. I got home to find my husband's ex-wife in my house. Less than delightful, but there it is. "I thought y'all were dead! The door was standing open! oh my God I was so worried!!!" Sow.

Have a lovely day y'all. I caught the rising moon through my library window last night. In my effort to try to pay attention to the small pleasures of life, I find the moon to be magnetic.

(Not my moon photos, but pix that look like what I'm seeing.)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger evilganome said...

I hear you Lynette, except for the ex-wife part. Steady drinking between 15 and 45. Now I gotta get up and go. Myself,arm day at the gym. 2 sets of 12 with 40 on the EZ bar and one set of 12 with 50. I almost feel like one of the big boys, and the moon has been beautiful. I took a picture last night on my walk home from work. I posted it, if you want to see what it looks like up here in N.E.

January 04, 2007 3:32 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow, wow, wow. You just keep coming up with insights I'd never even gotten close to considering. The idea that our bodies are forgiving and WANT to treat us right when we treat them right is such a wonderful, hopeful idea. The time period you described between 18-25 sounds so similar to my own life until just recently, so I was very moved by what you wrote today.

By the way, I heard on the radio that early in the morning you'll be able to see Saturn and Gemini right next to the big, giant moon. Hope you get to see it!

January 04, 2007 10:08 PM  
Blogger angelfish24 said...

Way to go on all the working out! I'm back at it too and the little I gained over the holidays is coming off thank goodness. I like the feeling, that euphoria feeling that exercise gives me, now I just gotta remember that when I don't feel like going.

January 04, 2007 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home