Saturday, January 06, 2007

Boot Camp Day 8

Another good day with the elliptical, upper body workout and crunches. I tried something new at the gym called the Gravitron. It's a pull-up chin-up dip something machine which was manufactured by Stairmaster until just recently. I have a new friend!

I've never been able to do pull-ups even though I can lift really heavy things ~ armoires, huntboards, pallets of furniture, giant foundation stone rocks for my garden. As a child, I'd just dangle straight down from the bar, arms trembling, unable to manage even the beginning of a pull-up and I was a relatively petite little thing. Couldn't climb that miserable giant gym rope, either, that big rough stickery horror dangling from the center of the gym so everyone could watch (or not) the progress of the climbers. I don't know what it is about dangling from my arms, but it is just not possible for me to dangle and move.

So when I did 60 pull-ups assisted by the magical Gravitron yesterday, it was quite thrilling and a kickass workout. Of course to accomplish this, the machine had to adjust my weight to 54 pounds but it takes what it takes, or so they say. We have to start somewhere and so I'm starting at about what, second grade? Here's my new buddy:

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Matt Nightingale said...

Hey Lynette,

Thanks for visiting DOAMA... We can do this, beat this fat thing, one day at a time, right? I actually *don't* have a HOW group that I go to. I just use their food plan, and it's working for me! I started my own little OA group... about 4-5 people come every week, usually people I know. And it's going great! Sounds like Big Ass Belle is rocking on the exercise lately! Way to go!

January 06, 2007 1:13 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Oh Lynette, I'm terrified of the Gravitron ever since I froze at the top of one and couldn't figure out how to get down. Even the name sounds ominous to me...*shudder*. Wonderful job on working that upper body, though. It really is killer for tricep dips. You'll have to break out the strapless ballgowns soon.

January 06, 2007 1:46 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

Dahling, I have to see my doctor on Monday to prove that I've lost weight (he's ordered me to lose 20 lbs. due to high blood sugar). The most intensive exercise I could muster in the past few weeks was a STROLL along the river.

You go, girl!

January 06, 2007 4:18 PM  
Blogger evilganome said...

Ah yes, the Graviton. It is not my friend. My rotator cuffs scream every time I even look at one. This may shame my candyass into using it at my gym. Ahhrrggg! Damn you BAB!

January 07, 2007 5:57 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I was right there with you with the chin ups and that big rope coming down from the celling. God did I ever hate each time they tried to make us do so cause it was so hopeless for me back then. And it wasn't that I wasn't a strong kid...I helped around with things all the time like getting wood to burn and stuff cause I was the oldest and didn't have any brothers. If I am ever around one of those machines I will have to give it a try.

January 07, 2007 9:39 PM  
Blogger dpaste said...

It's a whole different animal doing pull ups. Lifting primarily uses your biceps and back muscles. A pull up uses the chest, the deltoids and the lats and those can be woefully under-utlized by most people. You will be amazed at the difference this will make for you. Go girl!

January 10, 2007 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home