Thursday, February 08, 2007

Don't know what day it is

Funny how the horror of Nutritional Boot Camp makes counting the days seem impossible. It's like early sobriety when I just kind of woke up out of the awfulness of it and realized I had six months. Only it's taken just four days (I think) to feel better. That's the nature of this drug, I guess, as opposed to one of the others.

Husband is better. Had a major electrolyte imbalance and a flareup of inflammation in the remaining quarter-sized piece of pancreas he owns. It's pretty sad when I have to tell the doc what blood work he might need and why his amylase and lipase might not be elevated when his pancreas is messed up.

I'm over the pissed off bit of withdrawal, I think, and am stuck now with tired. Another couple of days and all will be well.

On the phone in the ER standing near a woman who was sobbing her heart out, I overheard her say, as her companion's cell phone rang, "is it DHS?" I had a moment of intense gratitude that, though it may have been DHS, it wasn't me. I don't know what she did/was thought to have done/allowed someone else to do to her child, but at least it was not me who had to make that decision. Life is good today on just that realization alone.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Red Seven said...

Good to know that the Mike-mystery is solved. Tell him that your blog buddies all wish him the best.

(And um ... I'm in DC, where "DHS" means the Dept. of Homeland Security. What does it mean in this instance?)

February 08, 2007 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

department of human services / child welfare division. ugh.

February 08, 2007 9:59 AM  
Blogger shrinky said...

I'm really glad to hear that your husband is doing better. I have to say that I really admire your strength in staying off the sugar while being stuck in such a state of stress and uncertainty.

I'm really glad that you commented on my blog the other day, btw. I hadn't read your blog before, but it's so great to see someone who is dealing with a similar struggle with sugar addiction, but who also has been successful in losing weight. I'm looking forward to continue reading through your past entries!

February 08, 2007 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynette,

I too have been enjoying your blog, glad Your man is better. Thanks for keeping it real, one day at a time...

Tater

February 08, 2007 4:38 PM  
Blogger evilganome said...

Glad to hear that the hubby is doing better. I agree, you are showing a will of steel, sticking to your guns with dietary boot camp and dealing with what has to be an enormously frustrating and stressful time. You're an inspiration as always.

February 08, 2007 5:39 PM  
Blogger angelfish24 said...

Good to hear your hubby is doing better. Sound like your making progress on the sugar addiction. Maybe I need a shake thing, as this afternoon after working out, I had the major sugar cravings and caved a little. It was overwhelming. I'll have to look at my diet more and see what's gong on.
Have a good week.

February 08, 2007 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home