Wednesday, February 28, 2007

fat chicks in party hats

And fat guys, apparently. A couple of years ago when I was still working, one of the cops called me over to his desk to show me a website devoted to mullets. If you're unaware, the mullet is an outdated 'do that's short in front and on top and long in back. It is to be seen in biker bars around here, and at the Cain's Ballroom when there's some metal band playing.

They were funny, these candid photos of mullet-wearing guys and the occasional lesbian (of course she had to be a lesbian, according to the site owner). And we laughed and laughed and then I started noticing the eyes of the people in the photos.

Some looked like jackasses, to be sure, but the vast majority of them just looked like people. Guys who thought they looked cool, tough, sexy, whatever. If they looked goofy to me, so what. I quit laughing. They were real people with hearts and minds and families and friends and tender feelings and someone had submitted their photos to a website in order to make fun of them. That's what I think of when I come across a website devoted to fat chicks in party hats.

Not starting out to be a great day. I'm three for three: gay marriage, manatees and fat pix. Cheery news, anyone?

7 Comments:

Blogger LSL said...

Don't look to me for cheery news today. But I get your point, and at some point people are just people and let's find something else to laugh at. When I managed banks and I noticed the kids all making fun of each other for some reason or another, I would just say - isn't life hard enough? How about fun humor instead of cutting humor? Ya know?

February 28, 2007 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen ISL. Not very cheery news this morning, but my glass is half full anyway!

February 28, 2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Um...well...let's see...the extra fiber in my diet is really doing the trick? That cheery enough?

It is for me...but I'm easy.

February 28, 2007 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I admit, every time a see some guy with a mullet on "Cops" I think "loser", and it is wrong to stereotype, so I will stop ridiculing these people. But you gotta agree with me, this characters 'doo deserves all the ridicule we can heap:

http://images.askmen.com/men/business_politics/pictures/folder_1/donald_trump/donald_trump_150.JPG

February 28, 2007 3:26 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

I awoke to 4 inches of snow this morning and was able to take my time making it in to work. That's good news.

Now...if I had simply awoken to 4 inches that would be bad news!

February 28, 2007 9:17 PM  
Blogger evilganome said...

Ummm... I only have one more visit to the dentist before he's done with the crowns? Okay, we're only going to get 3 inches of snow today instead of the 6 they were originally talking about.. Maybe I'll come back when I can be more cheerful.

March 01, 2007 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wut the crap?

that site is great!

lighten up...if it was me i would laugh too.

October 02, 2008 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home