Tuesday, February 20, 2007

media whores

Nance Gregg's latest rant, a subject dear to my heart: "Having grown up during the Cold War, I remember well the tales of how the Russian people were unaware of their government’s activities due to ‘news’ that was simply propaganda meant to mislead the masses. I remember the ads asking for contributions to Radio Free Europe, “so we can get the truth to people behind the Iron Curtain.”

"Little did I know that someday I, an American citizen, would need a source of real information, because the integrity of the TV news I had grown up with – being the integrity of the Cronkites and the Murrows – would die in the wake of endless, insipid chatter, or outright lies being passed off as fact."

Full text here.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reminded by a friend the other day, that prior to WWII, this country's media were essentially muckraking, and unobjective in their reporting. You read a paper or journal that closely allied to your own beliefs, and poo-pooed the rest. Unfortunately, we are reverting back to old ways, but with much more dire results. Living in such a chaotic and splintered world, people are now dependent on snippets from the media whores, instead of slowing down to wade through the facts. I find myself doing the same thing when I don't check myself. We have so much more now to distract us from the things that are truly important, that we look for shortcuts to truth when there are none. When we aren't dilligent, we are susceptable to the propaganda of our own government, and the institutions which keep our "leaders" in office with funding. It's a shame that we are backsliding into the ways of the past, especially when the people in power are so hell bent on greed and war. When everyone is divided and screaming their brand of truth, these assholes realize that the facts are being tuned out, and they can slide through their agenda with out much resistance.

February 20, 2007 8:51 AM  
Blogger evilganome said...

The trend is the same in local as well as national news. Unless it's sensational and will get some knee jerk reaction it doesn't get reported and even then it is slanted. As for a liberal bent in the media, I say "ha". I don't know if this trend in disinformation is a reflection of the society at large and a, see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil attitude or if people really believe that there is no other news out there. I am hoping that with some of the revelations about our president and his cronies that some of the news agencies will grow a pair and start asking some serious questions. I am not going to hold my breath however.

February 20, 2007 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time has been kind to Baghdad Bob. Wonder what he's up to these days.

--Freddy in P'town

February 21, 2007 3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home