Thursday, March 22, 2007

cooking

I've noticed when I don't take the time to cook whole meals ~ just gather up some abstinent edibles and throw them down ~ that my eating gets a little sloppy. Vegetable consumption trails off to nearly nothing, actually. That's the primary indicator. Maybe it's the combination of the busy-ness that leads to not cooking and a more snacky approach to eating that makes me feel I've not really had a meal. Saying it here so I'll pay attention, as this is the busiest day of my work week.

It's overcast and a little muggy here. Trees are blooming everywhere, all of the perennials are coming up. I have got to get those lilies ordered today. So much to do and just yesterday I was writing about simplicity.

On a very happy note, I missed stepping on this creature on the front steps this morning. The fact that I did not squash this gigantic fluid-filled revoltingly slimy thing with my bare feet makes this a grand day no matter what else happens.

3 Comments:

Blogger Timothy Carter said...

I can soooo relate! That's how I ate for the longest time. Now that I'm married, my eating has got better. Before, it was too easy to just have a sandwich or a couple of pizza pops and call that dinner.

March 22, 2007 8:25 AM  
Blogger evilganome said...

When my daughter was living at home, we ate really well and I paid a lot more attention to what we ate, cooked all the time and spent a lot more time at the grocery store, making good choices. In the past several years, living on my own, my eating habits really started to suffer, hence the weight gain. Now, I am once again putting some thought into what I eat, but honestly, it is much harder when it is just me.

Glad to hear you missed stepping on the slimy little monster on your sidewalk. I know I will be spending a fair amount of time trying to rid my garden of the nasty things this year. They just love my hostas.

March 23, 2007 3:50 AM  
Blogger Vic said...

One time as I was talking to a friend, he casually moved his foot and stomped on an ant that was scurrying past him. There was no thought to his action. This happened years ago, and I still think of that ant. I also think of all the creatures and tiny souls on this earth who are casually snuffed out for no reason.

So, thank you for not destroying a tiny being that is simply going about its business. If it were destroying plants, well one would have to find ways to discourage it. Your restraint was very commendable.

March 26, 2007 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home