Thursday, March 01, 2007

further evidence that life is not fair

Mike started working out with me almost daily in January. This is the best thing that could happen for his health. He carried a cute little tummy around that he hated and I loved and which is a really bad thing, according to cardiac doctors and endocrinologists.

That's the background. Here's the unfair part: he has lost 16 @#$@#% pounds without even trying. When I said that to him, he said "Not trying? what are you talking about, I've been working out every day! I do weights and walk on the treadmill!"

He's right, of course, but so do I. Only I do 2-3x the cardio and the same weights. I don't eat sugar, I watch what I eat, I write it all down and every day pass on something I'd love to eat but know I should not. He eats anything at all, in any quantity, whatever he wants and thinks not at all about food. He is older than I am, his metabolism should be slower. The inequities go on and on. Sigh.

I work in the shop every day moving furniture, packing, shipping, unloading trucks. Working. He rises around 9:00 and has a cup of coffee, then settles in for a little read or some morning television. Around 11:30 we both walk the dogs and throw balls for them. He generally crouches at one end of the playground and we throw them back and forth. If there are balls to be retrieved, I go after them.

We have lunch. I go back to work. He takes a little nap. Around 2:30 or so, he strolls down to the shop to see what's going on. Maybe polishes something, takes a look at the new arrivals. At 4:30, we both go home, walk the dogs, throw the balls, same routine as noon.

He has lost 16 pounds. I have lost a few. At the same time I am thrilled and happy and grateful, because I've been wishing he'd take a more proactive approach to his health, I want to strangle him. Strangle. Him.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Hot Stuff, just checking in! So yeah, Mike's got it easy. Most men do drop weight faster than women, so unfair, since we are the ones who seem to obsess over it the most! XOXO Lynn

March 01, 2007 8:38 AM  
Blogger evilganome said...

I spend at least and hour at the gym every day. My job requires me to run up and down stairs most of the day. I am pretty much live on brown rice and boneless skinless chicken breast. Please kick Mike in the ass for me. I am suppose to be loosing fat and maintaining my weight. It is to laugh. Hell, kick him twice, once for you and once for me.

March 01, 2007 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now darlin', you know your's is a personal journey. Mike hasn't lost 100 fucking pounds now, has he? You look your beautiful self in the mirror and repeat after me: "I am grateful, I am beautiful, and I kicked my own as to achieve my goals." Don't take Mike's inventory, take your own. Be.Fucking.Proud!

March 01, 2007 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the dyslexic typing and grammar...

March 01, 2007 2:56 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

Yeah, as David Letterman says, this is only an exhibition, it is not a competition, so please, no wagering.

Plus, as Confucius says: all unhappiness begins with a comparison.

Still, it sucks that men lose weight so easily and we don't. I'll give you my sympathy if you'll give me yours. :)

March 01, 2007 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home