Saturday, March 17, 2007

garrison keillor-coulter?

Is Garrison Keillor channeling Ann Coulter in his stereotyping of gay men?

The country has come to accept stereotypical gay men — sardonic fellows with fussy hair who live in over-decorated apartments with a striped sofa and a small weird dog and who worship campy performers and go in for flamboyance now and then themselves. If they want to be accepted as couples and daddies, however, the flamboyance may have to be brought under control. Parents are supposed to stand in back and not wear chartreuse pants and black polka-dot shirts. That’s for the kids. It’s their show.

In the context of the Salon article, he's blabbing about himself and speaker fees, that sort of thing. And in the quote, he's actually describing the stereotypical gay man, not saying "this is gay life." I know he's trying to be funny, that's what he does. Bad timing, I think, coming fast on the heels of Pace and Coulter and all of the other insensensitive and hateful jackasses we've heard from the last weeks.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger p.alan said...

He needs a good gay lashing for that bunch of nonsense.

March 17, 2007 1:25 PM  
Blogger evilganome said...

I would need to read it in context to make any kind of intelligent comment, but I am willing to give Keillor the benefit of the doubt. I have a hard time believing his intent was hateful.

March 17, 2007 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's time for the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: http://indefatigable-indolence.org/blog1/?p=62

March 17, 2007 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony, I'm thinking it's the satire and irony for which he's known. I think it hit me wrong because of the recent events. Lots of outrage about it, apparently. But it is hard to think of Garrison Keillor as homophobic.

March 17, 2007 6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have to see it as a Minnesotan mindset, not as a homophobic thing. Having a sister who lives there, and having tried it out for awhile myself on one of my geographic self help attempts (been there?), I have never met a more dowdy and no frills populace in my life. Anything other than navy blue or chocolate brown is considered decadent in Minn. It used to be extremely live and let live however, so I would have a hard time believing it was anything but badly timed humor. He has always seemed like a rather liberal person to me. I don't have a striped sofa, and my taste is refined, not overly decorative, but I do have a rather perfect and ridiculous little dog whom I love more than most people. I am very proud to be her big ole gay daddy.

March 17, 2007 8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, when I hear things like this I click my heels together that I live in NYC.

March 19, 2007 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home