Tuesday, March 06, 2007

food addiction, one more time

This has always been an elusive thing, but these days, thanks to the internet, it's available online if you know what to look for. It's a slightly modified version of OA's classic Greysheet, the original foundation of physical recovery in Overeaters Anonymous. It is low carb, grain and sugar free. Is it healthy? Its critics would say no, but for real food addicts, it can mean freedom from the addiction and thus of bingeing and crazy eating.

Here's a version of the Cambridge Greysheet, along with one addict's experience with food addiction, and Kay Sheppard's food addict recovery plan.

All of these plans have one thing in common: the elimination of sugar. At some point in the late '80s, the HOW plan started adding a serving or two of grains. My longest period of abstinence in OA ~ several years ~ was the result of a surrender to eating the original Greysheet. No sugar, no grains. There is an indescribable and unbelievable-'til-you're-in-it freedom in getting clean from the foods my body can't ever seem to tolerate.

The M&M Diet I wrote about last summer was one of my continual efforts (at a shrink's urging) to include sugar in my daily life in an effort to somehow moderate that drug and control its effects on my body.

It is sad and ironic and it seems so wasteful that 25 years after my first awareness of the absolute freedom that comes from eating this way, I am still debating, considering, looking at and trying other options. If that is not classic evidence of addiction, I don't know what it is. Anything but giving up the drug. Anything.

9 Comments:

Blogger Debra said...

Hiya.

I had two periods of freedom from obesity and obsession in my adult life: when I did the Optifast Plan in 1989 and when I did OA 2 years ago.

My constant belief that I cannot "eat that way"; i.e., abstinently, for life is what is holding me back, but the freedom of abstinence is calling me, gently but persistently.

I'm working on a personal philosophy that will allow me to listen. :)

March 06, 2007 9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.hbo.com/addiction/thefilm/index.html?current=5
Just thought you might like to check out this special on HBO on addiction. Runs starting March 15th, and then there will be weekly segments to follow. I think it will be both illuminating and entertaining to watch...

March 06, 2007 11:20 AM  
Blogger TitanThirteen said...

Thanks for that link! I never saw the original sheet. This is something easy to follow :o)

March 06, 2007 4:10 PM  
Blogger TitanThirteen said...

...Oops, i ment the first link :o)

March 06, 2007 4:11 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Food addiction long reply on blog. Cheers

March 06, 2007 4:19 PM  
Blogger rodger said...

This is incredibly close to Atkins which worked for me but I too have trouble abstaining after a while.

Very topical as I saw this today and the women were having trouble sticking to the diets toward the end of the study. Seems abstinence is difficult for all not just the addicted.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/03/06/D8NMUEMG0.html

March 06, 2007 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belle:

You are a nutritionist by default. But don't twist your hard knocks into a boomerang. I know sugar is a drug that can kill you; but is it, really, in the sense of tobacco or booze, or hard dope?

You can live a joyous century without any of the above. You couldn't live more than a few weeks without eating something sweet or something readily convertible into sugars.

--Freddy in P'town

March 07, 2007 1:49 AM  
Blogger Gothic Writer said...

Why not do it the easy way... try Radiant Recovery. It will help balance your biochemistry first so coming off of sugar is way easier. :) I'm on step 3 and feel like a new woman these days...

Lisa

March 07, 2007 11:08 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I SO want to eat "normally." Like a drunk wants to drink socially. I'm still resisting surrender to GS -- in part because I can't get a sponsor -- but I'm leaning at a sharper angle into OA. I love what you said about the simplicity of eating clean. It really is simple, isn't it? Not easy, but simple.

March 10, 2007 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home