Wednesday, March 21, 2007

vacation? beaches?

When I started writing here last summer, part of my stated intent was to find a way to simplify my life. That seems to be a critical piece of keeping the food addiction at bay: I cannot work 14 hour days and remain abstinent and clean. This awareness comes only after many, many years of going beyond the call of duty, doing too much, never quitting, always going the extra mile, always striving to be the best at the task before me.

T.i.r.e.d. Tired. Too much, a couple of lifetimes worth of work crammed into half of one. Sick of it. So I reduced the size of my business by 1/2, then by 1/2 again. While this creates some "oh shit!" moments, it's also created a lot more free time, provided a significant reduction in daily stress, and pushed my work day back to about 5-6 hours most days.

Last November I was bullied into getting on a plane for the first time in 20 years and found that a 10 mg valium will take me all the way to Mexico without anxiety. That newfound freedom coupled with the positive effect it had on Mike led us to the decision to take off for a week every two months.

I've said all that to get here: We've been to Mazatlan and will go back in November; we went to Florida first of February; first part of April, we're heading to south Padre Island. We're looking for another beach for June and maybe an Alaska cruise in August.

Have any of y'all done the Alaska thing? And where are the beaches for summer that aren't 120 degrees? I know we can't go south that time of year, but I'm curious about the northwest and northeast coasts. I've been to Maine, to Massachusetts, to beaches in NJ and New York, but it's been 40 years. Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone familiar with Great Lakes summertime vacation spots? I'm looking for a travel reviews this morning. Where do you go to relax?

12 Comments:

Blogger Bea said...

What a blog, what a gal. I quit being a nurse for the same reasons. This is like a nun giving up the veil. But I can sure see a darn sight better without that veil! I am now a housewife and loving it. Yes we less money but it doesn't seem to matter much. If I get massages I just don't get books. Is a tradeoff. I thoughtlesly gave away twenty-five years of my life and I am not thoughtlessly giving away any more.

We went to Port Angeles WA a couple of years ago. Is a small fishing villiage on north coast of Washington. Was fun and gorgeous. San Juan Islands were a treat. Victoria, BC was just a ferry ride away. Would go again in an instant. Wonderful beaches, but is not warm. Happy travels.

March 21, 2007 10:28 AM  
Blogger Bea said...

Have less money. Add the word have.

March 21, 2007 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Washington state is beautiful, especially on the olympic peninsula, but my favorite area, is west of Portland, in Oregon. Most.Beautiful.Beaches in recent memory! Have fun, life is definitely too short.

March 21, 2007 11:31 AM  
Blogger Debra said...

Cape Cod is lovely in the summer; have also enjoyed Saginaw Island in Michigan, but the other suggestions sound awsome. Your travel plans are making me a bit envious!

March 21, 2007 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Northern tip of Outer Banks NC/Emerald Isle NC - lovely in June ...

March 21, 2007 5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't you mention something about Nova Scotia another time? I'm a Maritimer by birth and have lots of ideas/recommendations to pass along.

March 21, 2007 9:20 PM  
Blogger LSL said...

I'm from the area that beula and tater mentioned, and I second that emotion! It's gorgeous out there.

I just wanted to comment on your first paragraph. I'm a sad, sick workaholic and appreciate your comment about remaining clean being incompatable with obsessive work. I'm going to keep that one in mind.

March 21, 2007 10:21 PM  
Blogger angelfish24 said...

I'm from Wash. State of course I think it's beautiful here in the summer and not too hot unless we're lucky. I grew up near the San Juan Islands, they are always nice and also Victoria, bc is great. I also really like the Oregon coast, especially cities such as Cannon Beach and Seaside.

March 21, 2007 11:59 PM  
Blogger Vashta Narada said...

I too had to leave a stressful, life-sucking profession in order to quit the constant overeating. I make less money now, but we make do, and I'm a much happier (and thinner) person.

I have been to Alaska once, in mid-July. It was lovely. And at that time of the year the sun shines all the time -- we went salmon fishing at midnight! I didn't do the cruise, but my husband and I talk about doing it one day.

March 22, 2007 8:07 AM  
Blogger BigAssBelle said...

great ideas, thanks so much. now my list is a foot long :-)

March 22, 2007 9:35 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Add one more to the list--Cape May, NJ. Beautiful and charming. Old Victorian gingerbread B&B and unspoiled beaches!

March 22, 2007 7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hawaii is a stunningly beautiful place. Hiking across one of the chaldeas of Kiluaea was one of the high points of my life.

Travis

March 23, 2007 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home