Tuesday, April 03, 2007

familiarity, contempt

We took the mother-in-law out to eat Thai food for her 75th birthday. The music was incredible, enchanting, magnificent. The lead guitar player, Tommy Crook, is a true virtuoso. In his early years, he ran with Leon Russell, J.J. Cale and others who were originators of the "Tulsa Sound." He was inducted into the Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame in 2004. He's semi-retired and plays here on Friday nights. Mike and I were early, so we sat near the stage, listening to the trio. Just watching Tommy's hands was mesmerizing.

So here's what I don't get: Tommy's my brother-in-law. He played at my wedding, he occasionally plays at our family gatherings. Experiencing his musical genius in an unfamiliar setting, it occurred to me that I often overlook the close-up wonders and treats of my life while searching for inspiration elsewhere. Tommy's underfoot, but I had to hear him in new surroundings to appreciate him again.

My life is so rich and full and wonderful if I only make an effort to take the time to appreciate it. Always striving, working toward, making plans, doing doing doing. At the risk of sounding like the old hippie I am, I think my plan for today is simply to be, to try to be fully present in the life I have, this day, this hour, this moment.

Do you do this? Overlook the obvious in a quest for something new and exciting? What do you think causes it?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger evilganome said...

I am a creature of routine. The world can be an amazing, beautiful and sometimes scary place. It is really just need to shake up things and usually it's easier when the weather is warmer and I feel more like getting out and about.

April 03, 2007 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Buddhist in me leads me to this conclusion:
It is part of our nature that we are in a constant state of grasping. The more we acquire, the more we realize that these acquisitions leave us just as empty once the newness wears off. It is a struggle of cyclical and progressive means, that is extremely hard to break. You answered it yourself when you said you must live in the moment. Acceptance is part of living in the here and now. Accepting that everything is as it should be, and that you are perfect and complete. Getting rid of the 'if onlies" is extremely hard to do, but a respite from them helps clarify the damage they do to our peacefulness, and sense of well being. We addicts are the worst at this. Part of our insanity is the constant neediness we exhibit for people, places, and things. We never seem to realize that the emptiness that we need filled can only be sated by a love of self. Sounds a little trite, but I have found it to be one of my core truths. Thanks for bringing this up today, it was a nice reflection for my own issues...

April 03, 2007 8:25 AM  
Blogger Debra said...

I agree with Tater. I think it was St. Augustine that said "Our hearts are restless, oh Lord, until they find their peace in You." Or something like that. Anyway, we stress and strain and change this, that and the other, does-si-do and find ourselves back where we started, strive some more and wonder why it has to be so hard. That is, perhaps, until we realize that we have everything we truly need in the moment and we need no other. Tough stuff. Great post, Lynette!

April 03, 2007 9:35 AM  
Blogger Red Seven said...

Every time I visit my folks in Washington State, I think to myself, "why don't I live here? I could be happy if only I moved here." Which, of course, is bunk. Life goes where you go. Washington State is FABULOUS when I'm there because I'm not working or paying bills and my mother is fixing all of my meals for me. And even that gets really old after four days.

I think it's wonderful that you rediscovered your brother-in-law's gift -- and were at least conscious enough to do that ... better than most.

April 03, 2007 7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the past year I have been trying to do just that, "be fully present in the life I have". Have read "The Power of Now" by Ekhart Tolle and found it very helpful. I don't know why, as humans, we spend so much time dwelling on the past and/or future when the present is really all that matters.

April 03, 2007 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home