Wednesday, April 25, 2007

what might save us, me and you?

This post from Angry Black Bitch has me in tears today as she reflected on the death of Yeltsin, the ancient history threat of the Soviet Union, and, of course, how that could relate to the state of our nation today.

". . . For some reason the words made me cry. I realized that I had never thought of Russians as people with children who lay upon the floor in front of the television.

How can I save my little boy from Oppenheimer’s deadly toy
There is no monopoly in common sense
On either side of the political fence
We share the same biology
Regardless of ideology
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too


It was the first time I contemplated ‘the other’ as human…that there are people over there who may think differently but who love the same.

Don’t they . . . didn’t they . . . didn’t history teach us that they love the same?"

Immensely talented, thought provoking writer. Angry Black Bitch, kickass woman.

2 Comments:

Blogger Red Seven said...

Indeed. Kudos to ABB (who I discovered through you, y'know) ... and props to Sting while we're at it. Because, hey ... he's Sting.

April 25, 2007 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say something for living on either the left coast or the right coast. There is plenty for me to gripe about big city living, but one thing that living in the big melting pot cities on either coast, is that we have always realized the humanity that is all over the world.

I have colleagues at work that hail from Russia, every Asian country you can name, the African continent, the Asian sub-continent and all of the middle east, and everywhere in between. They all work hard building a life, providing for their families and enjoying the richness and freedom of life in America and they come from families just like themselves and ourselves in their native lands.

April 26, 2007 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home