Tuesday, May 08, 2007

speed eating

This strange nondieting process I'm involved in has made me aware of so many things related to food, how I think about it or don't, how I use it or don't. It is truly eye opening, but the thing I've really been noticing the last few days is how fast I eat when not paying attention.

Noticing is a big part of this deal, as in the suggestion to "notice" and "not judge" what you're eating and why. Example: If I were to find myself chowing down on a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough, it's suggested (nothing is mandatory) I make every effort to silence the thuggish drill sergeant who resides in my head. Instead, I'd comment to myself something like this: "Isn't it interesting that I'm eating a gigantic bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough when I'm already stuffed with that huge dinner." I'm happy that I haven't had to "notice" any of these things, maybe I'm still in a pink cloud phase, but the concept interests me as it's unlike anything I've ever even considered before.

But this speed eating thing is the real shocker. As background, I really, really feel an urge to read when I eat. It's a means of distracting from what I'm eating, how much, definitely, but it's also another pleasure for which there's never enough time. It's an old habit, too, one I developed as a child, hiding out from the sadness in my family.

I'm not reading as I try this eat what you want, intuitive, whatever the heck it's called eating thing. It's suggested that we not distract from the food. So I'm sitting and eating only. Paying attention. Actually tasting the food I have in my mouth. And that is what is so strange. I have found that when I really take the time to taste it, not just tossing it through the air in my mouth and down the dark passage, it's an entirely different experience.

Did y'all know this? Am I the last person on earth to realize that we really have to chew food to taste it? I hate the picture this paints. It hardly seems proper to be wolfing down one's food (but at least they're tiny bites, just fast and airborne). I think I've eaten half the food in my life without it ever touching my tongue. Here's another shocker: small amounts of good food are quite satisfying when I really taste them. I feel like an infant. I also feel really, really happy about this.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gothic Writer said...

I enjoyed this phase in my self discovery, too... learning how to taste food when I non-dieted for a year and a half as one of my attempts at sanity with food. It did give me a lot of insight and awareness.... then I hit a brick wall. Hehehehe. But nothing is lost; all approaches have gotten us to where we are and will help us continue to grow. That's what I like to remind myself when I feel disheartened that it took me about 20 years to figure myself out with regard to food... or at least a big chunk of myself out. LOL.

May 08, 2007 3:14 PM  
Blogger Honi said...

next time when u eat close your eyes... its the best way to taste food with out any visual distraction... trust me.. food tastes better and you want less.. because you are satisfied by giving yourself MORE.. more time to taste.. more time to indulge in a smaller portion and more time to appreciate something good. and really taste it.

May 08, 2007 3:21 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

What oh what is the use of chocolate or popcorn without a book? It irritates me to "have" to eat tasty stuff without being able to read. Like I have wasted it. I can read without eating, but I sure hate to eat without reading. I guess I am trying to ignore the eating process. Phooey.

May 08, 2007 4:01 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

Sounds really nice, Lynette, like you've discovered a wonderful new phase with yourself as it relates to food. Sometimes I think I eat too fast because the food interests me less than the feeling of fullness, solidity, being taken care of -- I want to race to that feeling. I want to feel the after effects of merging with the omnipotent object, even if that object is an Almond Joy. Slowing down will probably give me that feeling in a more complete way without wrecking my body in the process. It's a wonderful discovery.

May 08, 2007 4:51 PM  
Blogger Red Seven said...

In my house, conversation would completely cease as we all wolfed down our meals in under five minutes. Then, as we rubbed our full bellies, we'd pick up right where we left off.

Sick, right? I know ...

May 08, 2007 6:04 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Your experience of wolfing down food is so familiar. I eat pretty much every meal and snack like it's going out of fashion, not pausing to actually taste it. I wish I was more like the French - they take their time over food and really enjoy the flavours.

May 09, 2007 2:46 AM  
Blogger evilganome said...

I used to wolf myself, but it was a habit I picked up working in restaurants. You got your meal before your shift and sent it down the pink highway before a fun filled evening of dealing with customers. Now I tend to eat lunch at my desk at work which is a bad choice as well.

There is nothing like a leisurely meal with friends and conversation to go with good food. It really does taste better when you share it.

I am currently in let the chips or other snacks fall where they may mode. I have decided to stop driving myself crazy over the excess poundage and hope that exercise and the fact that I have always dropped a few pounds over the summer will come into play.

May 09, 2007 5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home