Friday, June 08, 2007

better not to know

I'm all about being informed, but some things may be better unknown while my puppy love is confined to hospital and I'm fretting about him. Had I read the description of small Bill's affliction ~ hemorrhagic gastroenteritis ~ while he was hospitalized, I wouldn't have slept a wink.

Billy is home and looking lively. Is there anything as sweet as a puppy practically turning himself inside out with joy? I. Love. Dogs.

Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (HGE) starts as sudden onset vomiting and diarrhoea with blood in both the vomit (called haematemesis and in the diarrhoea (see dysentery) described as looking like raspberry jam. Some dogs are already in shock because of blood loss into the lumen of the bowel when they are presented to a veterinary practice. Swollen fluid-filled intestines can sometimes be palpated in the abdomen. This disease can result in rapid death due to shock even if treatment is commenced immediately signs are noticed.

Disseminated intravascular coagulopathy can develop in advanced cases, also leading to death.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Yvonne said...

Your poor puppy. I hope he gets better soon.

June 08, 2007 12:33 PM  
Blogger Willym said...

I am so glad for you and billy-boy. Again I know he is getting the best care possible.

I am taking my poor old Reesie to the Vets tonight - some problems that have me worried: one leg seems to be giving out under him, he's whimpering very softly a good deal of the time and his skin condition, which was improving, seems to be coming back. I have a really bad feeling. I don't want him to suffer but I don't want to do anything drastic unless absolutely necessary. Hope some of those positive thoughts that worked for Billy reach up in to Canada.

If he'll let you give Billy an extra hug from me...

June 08, 2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger Da Nator said...

So glad he is better! That's the worst kind of scare...

June 08, 2007 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy for you and your little guy. Give him a sloppy kiss from all of us(no swapping spit, I know by now how you feel about anything saliva related, just a big dry peck)!

June 08, 2007 1:39 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

So happy he's doing better!! Any idea what caused it?

June 09, 2007 1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home