Sunday, June 03, 2007

namenda + aricept = daddy

The Alzheimer's/Dementia drug Namenda in combination with Aricept has combined to give my Daddy back to me. Up until about a month ago, when I made this post about his having started Namenda alone, our conversations were extremely limited and repetitive, as he'd forget within moments that he'd already asked about the sister, husband, dogs. He'd call me 6-8 times a day, always to ask the same questions over and over and over. It was heartbreaking and tedious, but I could never skip his phone calls as my sisters have done (for their own sanity, no judgment, I just can't).

Friday night we had a lengthy conversation during which he gave me advice based on his experience. An hour or so later he called again and he said "just to reiterate what we discussed previously" and launched into more detail, reasons why I should not do the thing I was considering (have grandkids live in, sigh), possible outcomes and on and on and on. I appreciated the advice but the stunning thing was the nature of the conversation. After 10 minutes of this lucid, intelligent discussion with my father, I realized we have not talked that way with each other in 8-10 years. It was magic.

I know he'll never recover what he's lost, and it's only supposed to stop any further loss, but we have seen amazing things and it is a blessing beyond measure to have him back, if only for a while.

Namenda + Aricept = A Miracle

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Addison said...

Sounds wonderful. Now keep him off of flu shots.

June 03, 2007 10:03 PM  
Blogger Red Seven said...

Hooray. How wonderful for you and your dad. Here's hoping it lasts a good long time.

June 04, 2007 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will forward this info to my mom! Thank You!

June 04, 2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger dpaste said...

So glad to hear about this!

June 04, 2007 10:17 AM  
Blogger eric3000 said...

That's wonderful news, Lynette!

June 04, 2007 11:53 AM  
Blogger Willym said...

I am so happy for you and more especially for him. His world has opened up again, perhaps not as wide as it once was but....

I must find out what medication my mother-in-law is on - we will be stopping off in Montreal to see them before we leave for Rome. My sister-in-law tells me that last week she said she was looking forward to seeing us but she was frightened that she had forgetten what we looked like.

June 04, 2007 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home