Thursday, June 14, 2007

sleep deprived

I can't sleep since I had the toenails ripped off. I can't sleep most of the time, but it's been worse since then. Any little bit of light, any sound at all keeps me tossing and turning. Now the puppies have abandoned their usual cuddling and have begun tightly wedging me in, one on each side, so there's no way to turn over. Is this old age?

Mike prepares midnight snacks and invariably leaves the kitchen light on, which light glows beneath the crack of my bedroom door leaving me wide awake and irritated. Get up and turn it off, thus losing any sleepy relaxation I've managed to accrue? Or lie still sending psychic threats to rip off his toenails if he doesn't turn off the freaking light? Such a dilemma, but lots of time to consider my options, because sleep just doesn't happen for me anymore.

I'm getting one of these (though I'd like the old fashioned Hollywood glamour girl sleep mask). You? Do you sleep, and if so, how?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps the puppies just know that momma hurts, and they want to keep her warm and loved. I sleep well when I sleep, despite the whole get up in the middle of the night to pee prostate thing, the problem I have is finding enough time to sleep. Being crazy busy from 4:30 in the morning (5:00 a.m. gym) until 10:30 at night leaves poor little me hopelessly tired. I would sleep in on the weekends, but the girls can't stand it if I sleep past 6 a.m. The cat starts kneading me, and the dog has her ball next to my face on the bed as she whines excitedly in my ear. When whining gets ignored, the tongue bath begins, followed by digging behavior on my arms and hands. The girls know how to get their way, as most women do. ;)

June 14, 2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Willym said...

Sleep has never been something that comes easy for me. A new alarm clock can keep me awake with the tick of the minute hand (remember those flip clocks back in the '80s, never did get use to ours, it ended up in the garbage.)

We currently live on the main street of our town and the occasional roar of a pick-up heading back from the strip-bar (in what use to be the biggest mansion in town) is a normal disturbance. The other night it was Yahoos, no doubt coming from the "oldest original operating tavern east of Montreal" tipping over all the garbage cans along the street. Oh and Reesie snores or decides to wander during the night. And when Laurent is home I have to admit for the first few nights his snoring keeps me awake. Admittedly since he had the sinus operation things are better - before it sounded like he was gargling with a mouthful of mashed potato.

He on the other hand will sleep through the second coming of our lord in glory. He maintains it is the sleep of the innocent and I therefore am somewhat less innocent than he. In fact he insists given that the sound of Reesie's little toe nails clattering across the floor wakes me up, I am a great deal less innocent than he.

June 14, 2007 10:06 AM  
Blogger dpaste said...

I sleep like a dead man, sorry folks.

June 14, 2007 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me: No TV, no light, noise of the bathroom fan going and currently the windows open, a regular fan in the room (but not one that rotates or is the "cheap" kind) and if need it 1 Advil PM or 2 if I REALLY need it and take them early enough.

Cindy in CO

June 14, 2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger Vic said...

Those toenails are sensitive, I tell you. Best thing to do is to get out of bed, pick up a tome (like Thomas Jefferson's life in miniscule detail) and start reading. Dahling, you'll snooze in no time.

Actually, I just picked up Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Puts me to sleep every time.

June 14, 2007 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home