Thursday, June 07, 2007

stop! thief!!

Tried to log in to one of my retirement accounts today, just to see how things were progressing. Couldn't do it, had a message to call. Called. "You have to talk to a supervisor." Passed to the supervisor, who ran through half a dozen questions to verify my identity, including stuff I never gave them, which must have come from a credit report.

Bottom line, someone got into my account on May 22, sold all of my stock and transferred the money to their own account. I was distressed. I expressed my displeasure at such a turn of events. The supervisor assured me that the investment company's software caught the "unusual activity" and halted the transfer of funds, though the sales were completed.

All of my responses to the questions were negative: no one has access to my password information, no one has watched me access the account, I've not done it in a public setting, I've not done it from another computer blah blah blah blah blah. So what is it? Apparently some kind of virus has invaded one of my computers and is operating a keystroke capture. I checked one of Mike's brokerage accounts and could not log in because of too many attempts. I'm annoyed and a little concerned, because I manage ALL of our financial life online, including a business account which pretty regularly gets good sized chunks of money in it.

Ever happen to you? What did you do?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Red Seven said...

Yikes! So do you still have your money? Ack! Ack! I pretty much do everything online m'self, and live in a state of blissful denial that tells me no one out there is nearly smart enough to hack into my accounts.

Although, there's also the very objective truth that if anyone out there is smart enough to hack into any bank account, they'd likely go after someone with more dough than moi.

Still ... scary.

June 07, 2007 5:51 PM  
Blogger Livvy U. said...

God what a PAIN for you!! Makes me want to go and change all my passwords right now... And I wanted to add my good thoughts and wishes for your father and your wee dog. Hope they both come out of recent traumas with flying colours. And thoughts, of course, to you.
Livvy

June 07, 2007 5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd get a copy of my credit report and make sure my identity hadn't been stolen as well. There may be other activity you don't know about.

Deirdre

June 07, 2007 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God.
Bad things come in threes. Get your credit report, consult your banks fraud department, call all your credit card companies and alert them to what is going on. The quicker the better. I am hopping on one foot, crossing my fingers and sending you good karma. Jesus Christ girl, you have to end the jinx!!! This happened to my brother, and it is a pain in the ass, but can be managed easier the faster you contact all institutions possibly involved. Get a mac for your financial shit, and run quick books pro. I have never gotten a virus or trojan horse on my mac. EVER. Good luck. Please let us know how your dad and baby boy are. I am very concerned...

June 07, 2007 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you suspect that keylogging software has been left on your computer, DO NOT USE THAT COMPUTER TO LOG ON TO AND CHECK ANY OTHER SENSITIVE ACCOUNTS, because they will capture those account identifiers and passwords.

Get your computer thoroughly "fumigated". Try going to mcafee.com and see what products they might have to get your computer cleaned up.

June 07, 2007 9:22 PM  
Blogger Willym said...

this is not a good week said he in an understated manner. Only ever had credit card numbers stolen and that was from statements put out in the garbage. That's enough of a problem but to have accounts emptied... bleeding feet of my savoir Christ that's scary.

How's our Bill doing? Been checking all day to see if there was an update. Hope the little guy is doing okay. And the big guy is continuing fine.

thoughts and hugs flooding your way....

June 07, 2007 9:29 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Holyshit, girl, what is going on over there?! Financial stuff -- omg the anxiety. Yes, definitely get a credit report from all 3 bureaus. I knew someone who had their identity stolen -- best bet to nip things in the bud now.

Did you get your money back??

June 07, 2007 11:43 PM  
Blogger evilganome said...

First, this sucks out loud. Second everything Tater said including about a Mac. I hope you get this straightened out and make sure you haven't had your identity stolen. It has happened to a couple of friends and it is a nightmare.

June 08, 2007 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home