Tuesday, July 17, 2007

here's what i like about george bush . . .

"He doesn't think too much. He just gets up in the morning, puts on his jeans and t-shirt and kicks terrorist ass. That's what I like about Bush. We don't need a president who thinks too much."

That statement courtesy of my new neurologist. We had a rousing political debate lasting about 35 minutes and as we were discussing our opposing views on the relative merits of presidents past and present, congress, bureaucracy, wire tapping, habeas corpus, torture, what is entailed in sound fiscal policy, why the rich need more tax cuts v. why they do not, it dawned on me "this is diagnostic; he's doing this on purpose to see if I can put two thoughts together."

It was interesting, this first step in getting evaluated for early onset of dementia. The next step is an MRI and then a neuropsych exam. The mind I have left makes note of the fact that there are Rethugs everywhere, even masquerading as a friendly doctor freshly missing a ponytail and with a suspicious puncture in the earlobe. It's so disconcerting to come across Rethugs in Dem clothing, but a good reminder to be ever vigilant. I kid. Sort of.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a recent concern, or more a setting your mind to rest? You are in my thoughts.

July 17, 2007 5:24 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I'm not sure that a doctor who is comforted by the notion of a Stepford Wife as Commander in Chief is someone that I would trust.

July 17, 2007 6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please seek a second opinion, Lynette. I'm worried.

July 17, 2007 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for your concern, guys. i have been worried about the fact that my previously perfect, error-free typing is now full of errors, missing words, missing suffixes, prefixes, that sort of thing. it is such a dramatic change from even a year ago, when i could pretty much fly across the keyboard and create something pretty close to perfect, that it has been making me fret. along with my erratic sleep patterns, being unable to remember a fucking thing, and my family history of dementia, i thought i'd get a baseline evaluation. lots of women on my father's side of the family lose their minds in their early to mid '50s and since i'm at the unspeakable age, it's time.

July 17, 2007 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynette,

You know how much I fear the same outcome. Please keep me posted, and please know that I share your concern. I will be saying a prayer for you, that this is not what you fear it to be. I am also curious about the tests you are taking, in case I feel the need to do the same thing. I certainly hope to catch this illness as early as possible, unlike my father, and other realtives. *Hugs*

July 18, 2007 6:07 AM  
Blogger Willym said...

Hey Lady - a wise move on your part, given the family history. So many people put their heads in the sand with this sort of thing.

We are currently living through this with Laurent's mother - she has reached stage 5. We saw signs of it 7 years ago when she visited us in Warsaw but put it down to stress she was going through. "It couldn't be happening to her... here is not history in the family... look at her six sisters all just fine... etc etd etc"

Please let us know how things go - and, something I firmly believe in, you are included in my prayers.

July 18, 2007 6:59 AM  
Blogger eric3000 said...

Does this mean the political arguments I have with my grandfather count as neurological diagnosis?

July 18, 2007 11:39 AM  
Blogger dpaste said...

I don't know if I'd trust a neurologist who posits "not thinking too much" as a virtue.

July 18, 2007 1:15 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Imposter! Damn his rethug ass! It would also upset me that a neurologist would approve of anyone who doesn't think too much.

July 18, 2007 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more reason to head to NYC or DC ... have you been thoroughly assessed for sleep apnea? Lack of the good stuff can truly affect ...

July 18, 2007 2:01 PM  
Blogger Red Seven said...

Thoughts and prayers with you re: the tests ...

And this notion that some Americans want to feel intellectually superior to their Presidents is something I just don't get. I don't need a President to be a folksy pal; I do need him to be smart.

And I would argue that Bush thinks more than most -- when you're so dumb that it takes significant mental energy to put your damn socks on, you end up spending most of your day deep in thought. The results of said thinking are, unfortunately, less than stellar.

Cheers,
E.

July 18, 2007 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home