Monday, December 31, 2007

for you

For you, for all of us, I wish a new year of splendid things: love, laughter, joy and tears. Those are my top four wishes, heavy on the love and joy and laughter, of course, with just enough damp to add a piquancy to the others.

I am not happy about the state of the world and particularly of my country. 2007 was rife with disappointment in so many areas, foremost the new Democratic congress which never found its footing and was so inept, in so many ways, that I find myself suspicious of intent.

As of this very moment, there are 385 long and frightening days, 7 dangerous hours, 32 minutes and a variance of seconds left in the most destructive presidency in the history of this country. Since I've been sleeping better, I haven't been as openly enraged about politics, but in my heart there is a constant awareness of the urgency of this: we must have more Democrats in Congress come November and we must have a Democratic president. If we do not accomplish this one thing, the Supreme Court will turn against the vast majority of us and will become a tool for those who would use religion to control us.

Vote, vote Democrat, do not stay home, check your registration frequently, vote at the polls if at all possible, ensure your address is correct and that you're at the correct polling place. We face enormous challenges in fighting the corrupt thugs who would steal the last vestiges of democracy from us through caging and corruption. It will be an up hill battle to win this election and we must.

Resolutions will come and go and I'll make my own, mostly involving more time spent in silence, in the pursuit of spiritual connection. But the one resolution I will make and one I hope you will join me in and pass on is this: I will vote and I will urge others to and I will help register the unregistered and I will make noise about the corruption of the process. One thing, one act that can change the world and possibly save it: Vote.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Babe!!

It's 3.43pm on New Years Day here in NZ; a warm summers day and I've just returned home to enjoy a delicious raspberry smoothie ( frozen raspberries, cream, caster sugar and lots of cold milk mixed in a blender, yummmmmm!!)

I will remember 2007 as the year I discovered your blog (thanks to JMG) and your excellent writing...so pleased your story on the Piano playing won an award... and the way you can put into words so much of what many are feeling; politics,the state of the world and especially how HIV?AIDS has affected so many of our generation.

Big hugs to you and Mike.

May 2008 be the year of change!!

Brion.

December 31, 2007 8:52 PM  
Blogger sageweb said...

Congrats on the POST OF THE YEAR!!!! That is so cool. Thanks for all your great posts, all year...and your comments on JMG are equally entertaining...Have a great new year.

December 31, 2007 9:05 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

What's this about Post of the Year?? I'm so out of it, but... congratulations. I think you are my blogmama/blogsistah, or whatever you'd prefer to call yourself. Love ya, you know that.

Thanks for the New Year wishes, and many more back to you. I'm flying back to the west coast early tomorrow morning and looking forward to another year of your insight and whoopass. I appreciate and thank you for having the FIRE that I feel I so sorely lack when it comes to politics in this land of ours (yes, it's still ours). Since work will be slow in the fall, I'm thinking I should take 2-3 weeks off to be a campaign worker in October for whoever is the Dem candidate and go to some swing state that needs help beating the bushes. Thanks for the reminder. Wanna join me and make us a team in Ohio, or Florida, or Pennsylvania maybe?

On this New Year's Eve/Day, however, I just wish you much peace, and a day of basking in whatever your version of glory is.

December 31, 2007 10:22 PM  
Blogger Willym said...

Congratulations on Post of the Year - I remember that it was one of the first posts I read when I first started visiting you. I was overwhelmed by the tenderness and love with which it was written.

When I look back on so much that you've posted and reading today's post the one common denominator is your Passion - for people, for animals, for things. It is remarkable.

And please yes on behalf of the rest of the world encourage people to get out and vote to participate. It is voter apathy that has saddled countries like yours and mine with our current governments.

On a happier note - all good things to you and yours - Mike, Betty, Billy - in 2008.

Much love

Willym

January 01, 2008 5:40 AM  
Blogger here today, gone tomorrow said...

Say it, Lynette! Happy New Year.

January 01, 2008 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you darling, and I am right there with you on all counts. What is this post of the year business? Do tell. My goal is to simplify, focus on being grateful, and to treat each day as a gift to be wisely spent. We will see how far I can get with that. I will be voting, and raging at anyone who is apathetic this time around. See you in New York, when I have thawed out?

January 01, 2008 5:47 PM  
Blogger eric3000 said...

I am so looking forward to 2008, when we get to elect a new president!

January 01, 2008 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BJ . . . honey, just shut up. you have a cruel streak, you know? a warm summers day and I've just returned home to enjoy a delicious raspberry smoothie ( frozen raspberries, cream, caster sugar and lots of cold milk mixed in a blender, yummmmmm!!) i am flat out freezing my ass off today. cannot get warm and there you are taunting me with warm summer days and raspberries and cream. vicious boy.

sage ~ THANK YOU! surprise surprise.

joe ~ i think we'll all get a bit more fired up as the year progresses. i just read michael moore's take on the top 3 candidates and now i'm leaning toward edwards again. plus, i have a terrible sinking feeling that despite what polls would indicate, my fellow citizens would have a hard time voting for someone with a vagina or a deep tan. sucks. hope i'm wrong.

willym ~ thank you, sweet man. i have seen that you've been out and about. i don't know how you're managing with the loss of your sweet boy. mike and i have been giving our little ones extra attention since we heard about reesie.

HTGT! yes! happy!! new! year!!

tater: let's see how apathetic people stay after we pistol whip them, ya wanna? shooting for new york, yes. and if i ever manage to put on makeup again, i'll be sending you a photo of my face floating above my fab-o red boa. i mean scarf.

eric ~ a new and IMPROVED president. we must. we will.

January 02, 2008 4:25 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

Yes, I shall vote with my heart. Happy New Year, Lynette. May it bring you joy and closure in many areas of your life.

January 03, 2008 7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be voting with my heart, but not for the Democrats. John McCain is the most qualified, and has more integrity than anyone else up there. I agree with you that the last 8 have been rough, which is all the more reason to vote for someone whose heart is in the right place!

April 16, 2008 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home