Friday, December 14, 2007

ice

So many folks have written to inquire whether we are okay and I've had just moments on the computer since our power went out Sunday night. I'm having a moment right now at Kinko's/FedEx, so while a dozen Tulsans are glaring at me for hogging the computer, I am providing this brief update for those who are interested in our disaster. Sigh.

As a result of the ice storms which hit Oklahoma over the last weekend, we've sustained terrible damage to the trees around our house. The power, of course, is still off and we have no heat, but I am grieving the loss of the two beautiful river birch trees, my ancient pink dogwood, the old redbud on the south side of the house, my golden honeylocust, which provided such lovely shade in my living room, the bald cypress and a big chunk of my pecan. The sole, unscathed survivor is the black walnut, and I've never been particularly fond of it.

We finally got power at our local Kinko's/FedEx, so I'm trying to take care of some business stuff and it's WRETCHED because this is our busiest time of year and people are expecting their things and they don't give a shit that we're buried under ice. It is hard to run an internet company with no phone and no computer. Sick of my whining yet? Don't quit, because I'm about to start bitching about my hair.

This freezing rain crap sucks. It's just not cold enough to make real snow. We always hover right on the freezing rain temperature, whatever the hell that is, and then the ice starts to accumulate and everything's encased in an inch of crystal and then the trees start to fall. Tulsa is beautiful because it (used to have) has huge, old, gorgeous trees. Gone. It's awful and I'm so sorry to whine, but several of you have been asking and I have only another minute or two here before my fellow citizens begin beating me.

I was pretty perky for about four days, but I haven't been able to wash my hair all week and I really really NEED TO COLOR IT!!! and I am going to start screaming if I can't wash my hair and get rid of that little rim of gray there in the front that turns up without attention. I'm cold and old and pissed.

We have workmen in the neighborhood and if I can just GET SOME POWER and AT LEAST WASH MY HAIR!!! things will be a whole lot better. Fortunately, we've had enough candles so I can read. What a whiner. I can't shut up, but you're all fresh ears and we're all bitching at one another down here and no one wants to hear it anymore, so here you are if you're still reading. God, my hair!! Anyway, the candles . . . fortunately, I'd gone to the library on Saturday, so had a whole pile of good books, one of which was Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, which I think was recommended by Mark and Rodger or TeddyBear.

I LOVE THAT BOOK! and have been inspired to garden like I used to. I was just making out my seed order when the lights went out, so I've been rereading portions of her book for inspiration and hoping each mail delivery brings some fresh seed catalogs.

Aside from that all is well but I HAVE TO WASH MY HAIR!!! I'm feeling pretty edgy about the hair thing and, well, I just have to wash my hair. If I can't wash it today I may have to be locked up. Shallow? You bet. Love to all of you.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to finally hear from you! You have had us all worried. I made you a little something to cheer you up, so when you are powered up, drop me an e-mail with an address to mail it to. Sorry about your trees, and your roots. Love and good karma to you Belle.

December 14, 2007 1:59 PM  
Blogger Martalu said...

DAMN! Glad to hear you are okay, but really sorry to hear about your trees. Trees make the property. I guess the weather is heading this way pretty soon. I heard we'll have freezing rain and ice on Sunday. Blah.

Take care and wash your hair in the Kinko's bathroom.

December 14, 2007 2:50 PM  
Blogger evilganome said...

Oh the joy of being bald. Sorry. I'm glad you were able to post. We've all been worried.

If misery loves company, we are suppose to get a mother of a storm on Sunday.

I'm really sorry to hear about the trees. They really are so wonderful and become like friends. I remember when we lost the sugar maples in my parents yard to road salt.

Take care and I hope you get your power back soon.

December 14, 2007 5:26 PM  
Blogger Doralong said...

I am so glad to hear you and the family are OK. Hair- hey I totally understand girl! I pray you have lights and hot water soon!

The shit is about to hit the fan here tomorrow, so I'm washing my hair, filling all the bathtubs and hoping like hell the weather dweebs were wrong.

Be safe honey!!!!!!!

December 14, 2007 7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sugar, wait till you see the pic I sent you last week. I already took care of your hair!

December 14, 2007 8:00 PM  
Blogger Willym said...

Lynette - glad to hear from you and that you Mike and the babes are okay. Sorry about the trees - I know how much you loved your garden and yard.

As to the shower thing - obsess away, I know the feeling - we were without power for 2 weeks in the ice storm of 1997 in Montreal (we were the last grid in the city to come back on) and I ended up showering at work everyday - after I was finally able to get into work.

Big Hugs to you all.

December 14, 2007 8:11 PM  
Blogger Big Fella said...

Simple solution, move to California. Then you and Mike will only have fires, floods and earthquakes to for in fear of, but you will never get cold...

December 14, 2007 9:27 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

So glad to hear that y'all are okay! Sorry about the damage to the trees, they really can become cherished old friends.

Hope you have 'lectricity and one of those internet machines soon.

We miss you a lot!

December 14, 2007 11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are glad to hear you are OK. I hate that you lost trees. The giant trees are why we moved into our Dallas house 'hood, too.

The party invitation for Saturday night is still open, you know. Is I35 and Rte 44 an Olympic Luge?

It is raining like all living hell now. Rain with loud thunder and lightning. December! Thunder in December. Of course, there is no global warming. Science to Bush is like Shakespeare to Koi carp. Oh, sorry, didn't mean to the Koi.

It is supposed to be clear and cold (27 at night!) here tomorrow. Melt the ice in Tulsa or luge down I35 to Dallas.

Wiggle your nose, teleport, disappearate, or luge to our house for Saturday night. You can join 150 other friends, my team at work, neighbors and our families for a rocking good time.

I imagine that we can do your hair at this party, too;)

December 15, 2007 1:08 AM  
Blogger joemygod said...

and here we are crying in nyc because of a little sleet.

December 15, 2007 1:54 PM  
Blogger Da Nator said...

Good Lord, what a world of suck. I hope you get power soon!

If not, is there no way you can heat water? You don't have a gas range or fireplace? Back on the farm when the power was out, that's how we'd heat enough for a hair wash and sponge bath. Maybe you can buy some of those insta-hot packs and just plop them in a bucket of water, until it gets warm enough to wash your hair...

Good luck, sweetie!

December 15, 2007 8:49 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

You're safe, you have that at least. But I empathize. When Hurrican Isabel tore through our neighborhood, it took scads of ancient oaks, the kind that make Southern neighborhoods look, well, er, Southern. And I was without electricity for 10 days and hated feeling so dirty all the time.

I have only been without electricity for five days during an ice storm, and so I can sympathize to a degree. All my tropical fish died, and the poor robins starved because they could not hack through the ice for food.

Your beautiful trees will not soon be replaced. That's the saddest consequence of all. Shoot, Lynette, you've had a challenging year.

December 16, 2007 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lordy. So glad you all are okay - so sorry for the arbor losses - completely understanding the horror of unwashed emerging grey ... I know it's not green - but ya'll deserve a generator ... maybe one that can be converted to run on biofuels?

December 17, 2007 7:27 AM  
Blogger BigAssBelle said...

we have lights! power! carefully spliced cable! i am in heaven.

thank you, all of you, for your kind and funny words. i laughed out loud at some of these comments and was comforted by others. the. best. people. this little blogger family. amazing.

my hair is clean! the gray's still there but it will vanish tonight. off to work in double layer sweats, four shirts, sweater, coat, two pair of socks, boots, gloves and coats. still no power at the warehouse but i'm not bitching.

so many people are still out ~ Miss Leslie, my poor little skinny sister and her five cats, Mike's sister. it looks like it could be two weeks or more. the folks across the street from me still have poles broken in half.

not bitching. happy. we've got a propane heater and some deer lanterns at the warehouse. yeehaw! thank god for country boys. happy day to all of you. big hugs, lynette

December 17, 2007 7:45 AM  
Blogger dpaste said...

I'd heard from Joe, Aaron and Father Tony about your situation, so I figured an email would go unheard. Glad to hear all is well and returning to normal.

I loved Animal, Vegetable, Miracle as well. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my top favorite authors.

December 17, 2007 2:36 PM  
Blogger eric3000 said...

So sorry about the trees. I'm glad you finally got your hair washed, though!

December 17, 2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Oh honey, that whole ordeal just sounds heinous. We had plumbing problems recently, and I went 3 days with no shower ... while playing with the sewage pipes, blech. But at least I had heat. I'm so glad you're OK, and I'm very sorry about your trees, that's terrible. And no need to apologize about the bitching, girl, I'd have been a hot mess were I in your shoes. Well, a cold mess, anyway.

December 19, 2007 5:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm cold and old and pissed.- Girl, I laughed so friggin hard the cats thought I had lost it.

Glad to hear your all alive.except your wonderful trees ;(

December 25, 2007 2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home