Thursday, October 30, 2008

barack obama touches my heart

I haven't experienced this with politicians before. Oh, I've heard rousing speeches and speeches that excited me or stirred some patriotic urge. But I haven't encountered a politician who reaches right into my soul and makes me feel . . . comforted. That's it, he comforts me. He speaks to me in ways no politician ever has. Maybe it's life experience and where I am at this point in George Bush's America. I don't know what it is, but when I hear his calm voice telling me his plans for this country (and I'm smart enough and informed enough to know that his plans could work), I feel better.

Watching what is widely known as Obama's Infomercial last evening, I found myself in tears from the waving wheat. Inside of me is still that child who recited the Pledge of Allegiance every morning before class at First Lutheran. The one who felt that the possibilities for my life were countless and that optimism and hard work would always be rewarded.

Hearing from the couple who'd planned a comfortable retirement, then had to refinance their home to pay for medical bills just wrecked me. When the 72 year old man put on the Wal-Mart cap to go to work for his wife's car, to save their home, I wept. Hard.

My house, too, was paid for. My retirement was secure and then Mike got sick. I'm a can-do all American gal, so I buckled down and started a business so I could take care of him. And I worked 100+ hours a week for four straight years. Forty hours for the health care we desperately needed and the rest to cover the copays and deductibles and "experimental" drugs that were the only cure for him. American dream turned nightmare.

It shouldn't be this hard. I have worked since I was 14 years old. I had a great retirement planned until the stock market bottomed out. I am still comfortable, relatively safe, safer than most I know. And I have health insurance ~ $1500 a month in health care costs ~ and I am fortunate.

My sweet friend Crixi van Cheek, who's had more than his share of health care nightmares to deal with, said this about the Infomercial, being billed by the right as just another slick marketing tool:

We watched sitting at the kitchen table. On the same day that the doctor told me I may need more surgery on the same day that Aetna denied coverage for more chemo and told me my co-pay would be over $4,000.00. And I watched that man on TV and I cried because despite the circumstances of my health, our finances and utter wreckage of the Bush years he provides hope.

Thats enough. Just give me hope.


And that's enough for me too. Give me hope. Barack Obama did that last night and I can only trust that he touched others as well. Hope. A little bit of help. It's all we need.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Debbi said...

me, too ... your words perfectly capture how I felt.

October 30, 2008 9:06 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

me three...once again, you said what I was feeling...you always do. I felt hopeful the first time I heard him speak years ago, and I still feel it every time I hear him now....pass the kleenex back!!!!!!

October 30, 2008 12:18 PM  
Blogger Big Fella said...

Any American, who takes the time to really pay attention to what the two presidential contenders are saying, and not saying, and to honestly and objectively analyze the words. Has to come to the conclusion that McCain is relying on ignorance and fear to motivate the American people. While Obama is asking us to actually try to steer a course away from the mistakes of the past eight years, and to work together, regardless of political ideology, as one people, for the good of all of the people. Quite a contrast from the status quo of McCain/Bush.

October 30, 2008 2:02 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I still don't get the tingly waves of lurve or tears in my eyes that others seem to get from the Big O, but of course I found many vignettes moving in the "Infomercial." And I truly believe President Obama will be great and try his damndest to do great things. And I'm not worried he will win anymore.

I am more worried that crazy, misled Mormons and Catholics have spurred a $40 million-and-up donation war to keep me a second-class-separate-but-equal American, and that overshadows the pending Obama victory lap... but you know, everything's fine and I'm blessed enough. I pray for everyone else, like Crixi, to make it through, and for you to get to your Mexican Retirement Nirvana sooner rather than later. Have hope, sweetheart.

October 30, 2008 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Belle. I'm a raving agnostic. I don't know if God's out there or not, but in my heart I'm PRAYING that Obama wins.

All the best to you from a friend in Canada.

October 30, 2008 10:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I got misty Lynette...and I don't do that often, especially over a politician. ;)

October 31, 2008 3:45 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Very well said...your description got me more emotional that watching did though...because you say exactly how I feel. And I believe that A LOT of other people feel the same. "That's enough...just give me hope." :-)

October 31, 2008 5:21 PM  
Blogger Jean Warner said...

This was beautifully put. Thanks for putting it so well.

November 08, 2008 5:56 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

yes. that's it. With President-Elect Obama, I feel like it's OK now ... like I don't have to WORRY so damn much now. Like I can sleep at night, because he's going to take care of things. Make things better. Take care of US. As a single mom who has to take care of everydamnthing all the damn time ... that is something special.

November 09, 2008 8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home