Tuesday, October 28, 2008

i. can't. fucking. take. it.

Six more days? How many more days? Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, TUESDAY. It's unbearable.

I have a romping case of Election Related Anxiety Disorder and I need something, some massive doses of valium, alcohol, some fucking thing to get me through Tuesday and what I hope will be, what must be, the beginning of getting this country turned around. I compulsively check HuffPo, Wonkette, Talking Points Memo, Kos, Americablog, Shakesville, Jack & Jill Politics, Joe.My.God, Digby, knowing if disaster strikes, they'll hear it first. I've taken ~ God help me ~ to checking Free Republic, that maniac Malkin, the Fox News website, Town Hall, always with a sense of impending doom, as if the rantings of lunatics could somehow reassure me.

Are you feeling this? I am losing my mind. Mike too. We're constantly running each other down throughout the day to share the latest positive (sometimes negative) indicator. The polls in . . . The turnout in . . . Flyers in Philly telling Dems to vote Wednesday!!!! Could all the polls be . . . What will we do if . . Rachel said. . . In 2004, the polls at this point . . . Oh God, now there's a tape! a video! can you bear it? How fast can we get that house in Mexico? What will we do . . . They can't win again, can they? CAN THEY???

CAN THEY????



Do you think they can pull it off again??? One more election stolen by the rat bastards who promised a permanent Republican majority eons ago, back in 2000, when the abominations of the Bush administration were only neocon wet dreams?

I am terrified. I can't sleep. Lordy, I can eat though, my constant companion in times of unbearable stress. I wish I could drink ~ just one after 26 years, wouldn't that be okay? just to get through? ~ or pop a pill or just have someone put me to sleep for six days. My 1st grade biracial grandson comes into the warehouse after school all riled up. "Grandma! If that old white man wins, he's gonna make all us black people slaves again!" Even the children. I reassure him. I can't reassure myself. Six days. I can't bear it. Can you?

So I take a deep breath and remind myself of the outpouring of support we're seeing across this nation, of the unprecedented turnout and the stunning level of involvement in the Democratic campaigns at every level, and I think that we can. We can do this. They can't take it away, not this time. We can make this happen. Right? Right??? Tell me we can do this.

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger evilganome said...

This election is sending me over the edge as well. If the election is stolen I am ready to head north and never look back.

Whatever happens, I think we have a long road ahead of us.

October 29, 2008 1:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am ready to go crazy too.

WE CAN DO THIS. Let me pass on a link:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/10/28/america/lawyers.php?WT.mc_id=newsalert

Within hours of Obama sending out an email for lawyers to watch the pollling places, over 6,000 signed up!!!

It made me feel better, about our chances and about people caring that this election gets counted correctly.

God help us if anything goes wrong...because lots of us will be in the streets if anything does go down..I swear on every thing I hold dear...I WILL BE THERE TOO.

Putting this up at Sirens chica. ;)

October 29, 2008 2:55 AM  
Blogger TR Ryan said...

Amen. I feel your pain. I am dizzy from holding my breath. I can't take another betrayal of our nation's conscience.

October 29, 2008 5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are PLENTY of people warning about the evil going on of rigging the election, yet Demos not saying a word.....AGAIN!!! I AM alarmed, and having trouble about this as you are. IT OUGHT to be a MEDIA storm.

October 29, 2008 1:28 PM  
Blogger ish said...

I so share your anxiety. The rational side of me thinks it seems to be going well. And then I think, OH MY GOD WHAT IF OBAMA LOSES??? and the irrational panicked side takes over.

October 29, 2008 5:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm with you!! My anxiety level is at an all time high...I just started blogging because of it.... I have been living, dreaming, eating and drinking the election for weeks! I believe we can make this happen, so keep the faith...it's all we have really....keep reminding yourself of all of that "outpouring". To help you feel hopeful check out these:
MargaretHelen.wordpress.com
mudflats
good sleep tonight!

October 29, 2008 10:35 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Although I have no doubt that they will try, it will be harder this year.

One can steal an election but it is quite challenging to steal a landslide.

That being said, I begin every morning at fivethirtyeight.com

October 30, 2008 10:47 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Ooh, hon, everyone is feeling it. Newpaper columnists are writing about it. There's a buzz in the air everywhere.

I wish I could convince you to put down the remote and stop refreshing the political blog sites all day long. Have a cup of soothing tea. Do something in the garden or anything else that relaxes you. Bake some bread. Anything.

I am actually planning on Tuesday being a very quiet night. I am not going to glue myself to the media. Radio and TV will be off. I am promising myself this. I may meditate for awhile, go for a long evening walk in my beautiful neighborhood. I am honestly going to try to wait until Wednesday morning to review all the details (mainly because otherwise I will be agitated and enraged tracking the Proposition 8 returns all night).

Of course, I have signed up to be a backup poll worker that day, so I may be in a church basement until 8 or 9pm. In any case, I hope you make it through these days and retain some sanity and JOY. Hugs!

October 30, 2008 4:44 PM  
Blogger The Milkman said...

Petal, you're right... we CAN do this. Election officials here in Wisconsin are expecting 85% voter turnout. My county ordered ballots for almost all the voting-age citizens who live here. Early voting over the past few days has been a 90 minute wait. (I'm going tomorrow.) It's unprecedented, and not because everybody's excited to vote for the McCain/Palin ticket.

It's time for a new generation of Americans to take the reins, and Obama is it. I pray for him, I pray for us. I pray for America, and for the world. We need to heal, and we need to build.

Hang in there... it's almost over... and it's almost just begun.

October 30, 2008 4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl don't you hit the bottle!! I'll slap you myself! (kidding, kinda...)

It's very tough for all of us that have lived through the nightmare of these progressively bizarre 8 years. I don't believe in god, but I do believe in karma and what goes around comes around and guess what??? IT'S COMING AROUND! If they manage to flip the votes again I think there will be rioting in the streets and Washington will burn!

Love your blog, don't think I've ever commented before... be strong girlfriend!

Randy in Jersey City

October 30, 2008 10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynette, yes it can be done but really i hate to be the one to bring this up. It really may not be all that different. It will be better but i doubt all that much. These people are entrenched in government; endless lines of multimillionaires professing to improve your life as well as mine. It just more fancy talk and who is better at it is gonna take the cake. You know who gets the crumbs. Run for local office. You would definitely shake things up.

November 01, 2008 11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't mention fivethirtyone.com in your post, Lynette. They will have good news for you.

November 02, 2008 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, fivethirtyeight.com

November 02, 2008 6:54 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

yes, yes YES, this is just how it was! I couldn't blog about it, we were joking at work about everyone have Election Anxiety Disorder, it was awful. I didn't think they'd win fair and square, but I did worry so much that they'd steal it, or declare martial law, or some other bullshit. I'm so relieved now I could practically feel it pouring out of my body election night. I'm so glad it's over and I don't have to cyberstalk sarah palin any more.

November 09, 2008 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home