Wednesday, November 05, 2008

it's gonna be okay. really. i can feel it.

Late to my email, I found this note from a friend:

Hey, I see you've had a blogging spurt. And I read your post about your election anxiety.

I saw Barack yesterday. And Bruce Springsteen too. I waited for hours on sore feet and did some more fancy footwork and utter guile to get a place just 30 feet away from the stage.

You can read about it here.

A memorable night for 80,000 in Cleveland

I'm hear to tell ya, it's gonna be OK tomorrow. Really. I can feel it.

Check the video I shot of Bruce singing "This Land is Your Land." And he sang the banned verse. And there I was looking at all these white, black and brown faces waving flags and having such a great time and the tears just fell like rain. I can't even think of it now without tearing up. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen or experienced. For one brief shining moment I believed again. I waved my flag and noted the irony. This country, despite all the bullshit we've had to swallow in the last eight years, is still fundamentally full of enough good people to bring it back.

I wish you could have been there Lynette. You would have been bawling along with me, I guarantee it.

I saw the best of America last night. I think we'll see the best of America tomorrow too.

You take care, Keith


Read Keith's post and you'll never doubt that things can change in this country. Amazing. I really, really have hope today.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

So many people are voicing their heartfelt opinions so eloquently...I felt like I couldn't find the right words today, even though I tried! It was just nice to share with everyone, and being able to read about how others were feeling about this incredible day!

November 05, 2008 6:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow...it would of been awesome to be there Lynette.

Your friends post is wonderful, and so full of great video's. Thanks for sharing it with us. ;)

November 06, 2008 4:48 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

This was so nice.

This made me think of my friend, a co-founder of our advocacy group, came to my office on election day to ask if I could attend a meeting with her on the 5th. I'd been in knots all day, and said, "Seriously, it depends on how the election goes ... I don't know if I can get through a meeting if ..." My friend, a Latina who has seen her share of oppression, looked at me with absolute confidence and said, "The election is going to be FINE. It's going to be OK. I FEEL it in my body. Obama will be our president." Her absolute certainty gave me something to hold on to, although I feared so much the Right would steal it, somehow. Listening to our friends would've saved us some anxiety, eh?

November 09, 2008 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home