Wednesday, December 17, 2008

cold

This cold is bone chilling. We've got ice everywhere. I'm wearing two pair of pants and three shirts just to be able to stand sitting in my office. What to do, what to do?

Chilly Times Chili
* 2 teaspoons oil
* 2 onions, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 lb lean ground beef
* 3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
* 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
* 1 can dark beer*
* 1 cup strong coffee
* 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
* 1 can beef broth
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 3 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
* 1 tablespoon cumin
* 1 tablespoon cocoa
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* 1 teaspoon cayenne
* 1 teaspoon coriander
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
* 4 chili peppers, chopped

Directions

1. Heat oil.
2. Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.
3. Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth.
4. Add spices Stir in 2 cans of kidney beans and peppers.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
6. Add 2 remaining cans of kidney beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Grated cheese, a dollop of sour cream and saltines make this the perfect antidote to the misery of winter.

*For no beer folks, I use apple juice watered down by half. You could use some of those nonalcoholic beers, but watery apple juice works for this drunk.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Willym said...

Damn its been over a year since I tasted home made chili and just looking at that picture made me homesick. I know what I'm going to be making this weekend! Grazie carina

December 17, 2008 11:00 AM  
Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

It's fairly cool in northern California -- teens to low 30s. I always laugh at the weather wimps here who pull out the parkas when it dips below 60. The chili is okay here but not remarkable. Plenty of vegan, organic, tahini variations.

December 17, 2008 10:09 PM  
Blogger don said...

It's freakin cold here in Canada too. I can't wait to try your chili recipe. The ingredients are really unique. Thanks for posting it.

December 17, 2008 11:32 PM  
Blogger Big Fella said...

Mmmmmmm, send an extra large bowl full this way please.

December 17, 2008 11:42 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Sounds great! I'm on it!!! We have snow on the hills here on the Central Calif. coast, so it's definitely time for a chili day! Thanks!

December 17, 2008 11:56 PM  
Blogger evilganome said...

Well, I know what I'm cooking this weekend! I'm not much of a drinker anymore, myself but the alcohol will go away with the heat and cooking with beer is under appreciated.

Beer is the best thing in the world to steam shellfish with. Fer' serious.

December 18, 2008 1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ewah! WE LOVE a good home-made chili, and this is the most unique recipe I've ever ever read. WE TOO will be making it this next week....does it help that the Northwest too is having a rare confrontation with weather in the teens and lingering snow/ice....chili sounds good right now. Methinks Tony and us will have to report back!

December 18, 2008 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband makes a fine chili. He evens makes his own spice mixture, but he's always game for new ideas. I'm sure he'll give it a try (especially since he loves beer!)

December 19, 2008 6:24 PM  
Blogger TR Ryan said...

I can't wait to try this!

December 19, 2008 10:54 PM  
Blogger don said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I tried your chili recipe tonight. Yum! I did a few substitutions and changes. For example, I added some ginger root which worked well with the cocoa flavour. Sort of an Asian mole sauce. I also used a strong Danish beer called Faxe.
Thanks again for posting your recipe, it's a keeper.

December 20, 2008 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home