Wednesday, January 07, 2009

born man

When my nephew was a baby, he was preternaturally calm. He would lie peacefully in his crib or carrier, wide-eyed, simply gazing out at the world. Once he started to talk, he talked about a time when he was "a born man."

Driving with my parents in the farmland surrounding Blackwell, a 4 year old Weylin excitedly pointed out to my parents where he had lived before, when he was a born man. He said that his son had died and he had been very sad. He talked about his tractor and the fields he would plow and how he would work late into the night. He said there was a fire and his house burned and everything in it. Over a period of about a year, this pre-school age child discussed details of farming and farm life that he couldn't possibly have known.

At 30, he still radiates an aura of calm and stillness. He insists that he can sit quietly and think of nothing for 20-30 minutes at a time. He has an unusual generosity of spirit, not a judgmental bone in his body, and a gentle acceptance of human nature. As one in possession of a mind that never quits, a ready ability to judge, and a refusal to accept my own nature, I find that stunning. He naturally has this trait of quiet, a thing that is the holy grail of meditation, and he seems to have been born with it. Or maybe he brought it with him from another life and time.

Tyler is now four months old. He is the most beautiful baby, but beyond that, he has the same remarkable calmness that my nephew had when he was a child. He gazes out into the world through glorious dark eyes: they are bright and shiny and alert and intelligent, and the little man who looks at me appears to be fully aware, far beyond what a baby should be aware of.

His grandmother was holding him this weekend and asking him questions. When she said "Where's mama," Tyler would crane his neck around until he could see his mother, then smile. He showed the same response when asked to find his father. This is not normal baby behavior. The connectedness when he looks at me is not typical for babies. It is like he's all grown up in there, beyond those coffee bean eyes.

We are all convinced that Tyler, too, is "a born man," that he will likely begin telling us as soon as he can talk about the life he had before he came into consciousness this time. I can't wait.

Do you believe in reincarnation? Do you think you've lived other lives, through other times?

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I do believe in reincarnation. And I believe everything you say in this post, as I have known folks like that as well.

January 07, 2009 3:53 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm really into Buddhism (though I don't exactly call myself a "Buddhist"), but I'm not sure if I believe in reincarnation or not. I think I believe there's something to the idea of "old souls," but I can't say I have unshakeable faith in that.

I guess I'm completely willing to believe that reincarnation might exist -- unlike other faith concepts that I absolutely don't believe. For example, I absolutely don't believe in hellfire and eternal damnation.

And insofar as I believe in reincarnation, I believe humans are only reincarnated again as humans, not as worms, or cows, or frogs or anything.

Your story is interesting; I've never witnessed that in another person or a child, but there have been times when I myself have felt very deeply that I've lived in other places and times, and I'm not sure where that feeling has come from.

January 07, 2009 5:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I believe. I am an Old Soul and so is my son. Even though he never vocalized the things you talk about, he's earliest baby pictures have that aura of "Ho Hum....been there-done that"

January 07, 2009 6:30 PM  
Blogger TiminSD said...

Deepak Chopra talks about this phenomena in his book Life After Death. I'd say you're lucky to experience one of these special souls except that you're such a special soul yourself, with a heart as big as all earth, that you've earned and deserve all the beauty you've gathered around you.

January 08, 2009 12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe - one of my favorite movies is Defending Your Life, so I hope it does exist. Silly to base a belief / idea off of a movie... but why not!

Cindy in CO

January 08, 2009 12:02 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

ONly through the eyes of babes, who can't make this stuff up, can we see for real.........

January 08, 2009 10:51 PM  
Blogger Idabel Oklahoma said...

NAIW: When my daughter first started talking she would point to pictures of my great grandmother and say things like "That's me mamma. I use to change your diaper. I lived in a big brown house and you would come stay with me." But sadly, the older she gets the less she does it. Yes, I believe.
WTRW: I don't want to believe. Cause I don't want to come back into my damn family. I have hope that death will get me the hell away from this bunch of inbreeds.
BAAW: I've always felt, been here, seen that. Granny always said I was an Old Soul.

January 09, 2009 9:26 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

That's spooky and because I believe in you, Lynnette, I give it credence. Now I'm spooked. But also a little jealous. I am constantly and painfully aware that I HAVEN'T been this way before - everything is hard for me and I make so many mistakes. Being born a born man seems to me like being born into wealth - an instant advantage. I'm very happy for your relatives and would love to hear of any more stories as they arise.

January 09, 2009 8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes indeed I believe. Slugs are former Nazi prison guards. My youngest son is an old soul - "been here before" but with none of that detail. Born man. That's fascinating.

January 13, 2009 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear my partner is a fresh new soul he is very intelligent yet never can size up a situation or speaks of having feelings of Deja Vu; I on the other hand can quickly gather information on a new situation and have feeling of having been previously here on earth.

January 14, 2009 12:03 PM  
Blogger dpaste said...

I don't know.

In some ways it sounds specious to me. Like all the people who were Amazon warriors or Egyptian prices in a past life, while no one was a blacksmith in the 1300's with a cleft palate, or a bedwetting stutterer during the Toltec empire.

On the other hand, the idea that every new person is a new soul and that there is an endless supply of them (since I do believe in the soul) is hard to accept, especially if one believes there is something after death. What universe could hold them all?

I don't know.

January 14, 2009 12:58 PM  
Blogger LzyMom said...

Yes, I do believe. I've had a few past life experiences. Or present life experiences with past life intrusions? :)

I remember as a little girl, staring up at the stars through my bedroom window and shaking my fist in anger at being back here (earth). I remembered a council who had sent me back, against my wishes.

I'm not sure if I read about the "Council" in a Michael Newton book, or someone else's, but I was like, THEM! The gamey bastards that sent me back! It was confirmation, of sorts, that I wasn't crazy. :)

Bearing that in mind, I try hard to learn and grow and be an enlightened individual so that I don't have to come back.

I do agree with the above commenter, though. So many people were Egyptian priestesses in a past life that they must have been a dime a dozen!

January 14, 2009 2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe.

January 15, 2009 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a confirmed Jewish agnostic. But if there's one thing that I could consider "believing" in, it's reincarnation. On some level, it just makes sense to me.

January 15, 2009 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe in everything these days. And I've been practicing the not thinking thing. Muy dificil! But when I succeed the things that pop through are so out of my realm of thought I know they come from someone or something else.

May 19, 2010 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home