Friday, January 02, 2009

the stupid never ends

Waiting in line for the fresh frito chili pie that had just arrived from the diner down the road, I chatted with another antiques dealer at the new year's day sale at my favorite auction. Verbatim:

Other Guy: How was yer year? Mine was great til that danged election. Oh lordy, lordy, lordy. (shaking head)
Me: 2008 sucked in every way. Don't know what 2009 will bring, but at least we'll reach the long awaited 1.20.09.
OG: Whut's that?
Me: Inauguration day, saying goodbye to Mr. Bush. Worst president ever.
OG: (agitated)Well . . . (runs off) . . . (comes back) Well you know, if that Al Gore had won the lection, heeda been off huggin some tree and they'da jus attacked us here.

The signed, framed print of George Bush's face superimposed over the burning towers, with tiny fire and police angels floating up from the ground, was a bargain at $5. The dealer next to me confided that she plans to add it to the extensive collection of 9/11-Bush memorabilia decorating her home. She hopes that it will one day be worth a tidy sum, but meanwhile, "he kept us safe."

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Occupational hazzard Lynette. I was at an auction here on election night and the crowd groan louder with each state result the auctioneer announced. I made sure everyone could see or hear my glee. Ha.

January 02, 2009 11:16 AM  
Blogger The Honourable Husband said...

Why is nastiness, mean-ness and contempt always the default option in America?

Have we been schooled too well by our business and political leaders?

January 02, 2009 12:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Lordy, Lordy! We knew they were still out there, right? but we WON!!!! And he's OUT!!!
Speaking of chil...? I made yours on NY Eve, and it was divine!!! Made it with fresh green chile/cheese cornbread! Yummmm....thanks for the recipe...it's now my new chili recipe!

January 02, 2009 12:35 PM  
Blogger Big Fella said...

Ignorance is bliss.

January 02, 2009 10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

give me a pail to puke in. oy. I hope you slapped him in the face or at least gave him the look of dismissiveness. Happy New Year

January 03, 2009 12:58 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

If this morass of unprecedented political corruption, unfettered corporate greed and just out and out theft causing almost total economic collapse, and civil rights trampled upon to a degree never before imagined is "safe", then perhaps someone can explain to me what "unsafe" would be like...

January 04, 2009 5:21 PM  
Blogger TR Ryan said...

My friend told me the best way to survive moving back to Oklahoma was to learn to keep my mouth shut and just nod my head. I did not move back to keep my mouth shut, quite the opposite. Your blog is always a fantastic reminder why not keeping our mouth shut is ever-so important!

January 04, 2009 11:13 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Lynette & T.R.: You both have my utmost respect for not keeping your mouths shut -- or getting punched in them. Lord have mercy.

January 06, 2009 3:30 PM  
Blogger The bloggah said...

The stare heard 'round the world. That 'Goat' pix pretty much sums up the last 8 years.

January 15, 2009 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home