Tuesday, June 23, 2009

runaway

When Bessie finally got Water Moccasin's truck fixed, the two of them took off to see how it would run. Water Moccasin always bragged on his wife. She could fix anything and did, because Water Moccasin himself was a drunk and if he wasn't on the job, hanging drywall, he was passed out in his recliner.

I loved to hear Water Moccasin stories, how he bragged on his wife, how strong she was, how competent and capable. She was a legend among the working men on the construction crews, a tiny little dark tanned woman, tough as nails, as hard working as anyone I've ever known. Bessie. I called her Mrs. Water Moccasin which never failed to make her cackle. Her grin was a little snaggle toothed, and she had laughing eyes. It was impossible not to feel happy in her presence.

I always wanted to be just like her, like Bessie, with her competence in the manly arts. I pride myself on my physical strength and my way with the power tools, but Bessie could out work most men, and she didn't mind dirty, a thing which has always stood between me and my urge to do physical labor.

When they took off that day, the truck was running rough. Over time, it smoothed out and as they traveled, it got better and better. It was finally running so well that Water Moccasin and his Bessie kept on driving until they hit the west side of Alaska. That's a long way from Oklahoma, a lot of driving for a drunk old man and his tough, merry little wife.

Water Moccasin died a few years after that. Bessie never came back to Oklahoma. That's how I feel a lot of days, like I could just get in the truck and drive. I could load up my little husband and hit the road. Never look back. Just let go of this life and responsibility and obligation. Goodbye to all of that. You? Ever want to run away, cut those ties? Did you do it?

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Sure, wanted to.....my husband and I talked about it on the way to work a couple of times...wouldn't it be great if we could just keep driving? But never did.....

June 23, 2009 9:46 PM  
Blogger LzyMom said...

One day, on the way to work, I got this intense urge to drive to Georgia. I live in Va. I had to fight with myself, but I drove to work. I always wonder what would've happened if I'd followed that instinct...

I have uprooted myself a couple of times. I lived in Australia for a year, and then moved from Vancouver to Virginia. But I always had a home base. What would it be like to just pick up and leave with no plan or destination? F*cking amazing, I hope. :)

June 24, 2009 9:09 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

My parents sold their home, put everything in storage and "full-timed it" on the road in their RV for 3 yrs......they said it was the best time of their lives. They found property on their travels that they eventually built on, and they saw the whole country. We are hoping to do a different version, one of these days, in our motorhome....
LM...I wonder how many people have the feeling of continuing to drive on their way to work like we did?
Lynette...when are you running away to Mexico?

June 24, 2009 1:19 PM  
Blogger Tony Adams said...

Every five minutes, sugar, but my heart is a powerful sheriff.

June 24, 2009 10:49 PM  
Blogger David said...

I've never had the urge, but I think it's because I believe that there will come a day when of me and mine, I'll be the last man standing. And I should have a little time to roam before it's all done.

June 24, 2009 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Michele said...

I often think about New Zealand - Dunedin or up north near the Bay of Plenty - an arc of golden sand ...

I have heart obligations to my friend Bonnie (who is like family) and she is a young 60ish - so unless she comes with us - we are here.

June 30, 2009 5:07 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Yes, ohmygod yes, especially since moving here. But you can't just up and leave with kids. Or when you live in a country where health care is handled like this.

Maybe someday I'll win that lottery...

July 31, 2009 3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home